Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
gah i think i hear what your talking about but talk about shitty sound

get a 4ft rubber hose and stethoscope that shit, check at the bellhousing inspection hole below the ECT sensor, if its in there its very likely a flexplate

listen with the valve cover cap removed, if you put two fronts on this makes shit easy

get a timing light and see if the noise syncs with valvetrain/ign rpm or at double that at crank rpm

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
My injectors are quieter than this ticking/tapping, so its not them. A good friend stopped by that deals with alot of 3800 parts, said it didnt hear like a bearing from the engines he had heard that were bad. I hope not! I plan on tearing the front valve cover off this weekend and resetting the torque on the rockers. I was told to go to 30 ft/lbs, zzp recommends 23 & intense 25. Possible this has something to do with it. The little time I drove it there wasn't any electronic knock present and pulls very hard, when i was dialing in the afr last year; I will pull the belts and probe around. I hope its an easy fix. I did replace the trans and put new tty flexplate bolts on with loctite, so I'd like to rule that out. Sounds like its motor related.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
for the 5/16 thread rocker bolts I go to 28 to 29 foot pounds and have never had a problem never using Loctite are you referring to Loctite on the crank to flex plate bolts or flex plate to converter bolts?

use the rubber vacuum line trick on the coil terminals to to figure out which cylinder might be contributing if it is a firing related noise

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
and you've confirmed its not bearing wear by pulling the filter and dumping it into a clean pan and look at it in the Sun for shimmering of metal particles?
go ahead and use a timing light to see if the noise is at spark/crank rpm or half that or less frequency would be valvetrain related

I just want to make sure that your oil doesn't have clitter glitter

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
No glitter in the oil, looks like new. Had a second opinion. Started it up and no noise really. We took the front valve cover off pulled the rockers and inspected pushrods, and put a little cleaner down to the lifters. He said its more than likely a sticky lifter, and I should drive. Shouldnt have any worries. about it. Insurance will go on Monday. If something does granade, higher compression will be in my sights.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info