No Start - BCM?

Alright so on wednesday I pull into my parents driveway to get some stuff from their house. I go to leave and the car won't crank.

Checked battery, fine (even have 2nd in trunk)

There is no "click" sound as if it was a starter problem

Fuel pump primes fine.

Here's some info on it. It flashes with the security light after trying to start. I've tried about 15 security relearns, trying a few different ones. I had Passlock bypassed for my remote start and its been working fine. So i unsoldered the resistors on the bypass, and returned it to stock. Another security relearn and nothing. Tried a few more times, still nothing. Said screw it and left it to go out of town for the weekend.

Now, I'm leaning towards one of three things:

Bad ignition lock cyln
Bad BCM
Bad Fusible link -this went bad a few years ago and similar symptoms (gonna check it out tonight)

Now, the security light goes away during the relearn, but it still won't start.

Reason I am thinking its a bad BCM, is because some other funky things have been happening. A few weeks ago, my radio would be on, start car, radio shuts off and wont turn on. Few times of turning car off, unplug radio, restart, replug radio, and it would work. (This has since stopped happening and now works fine)

Then Monday driving to work, my automatic lights (including drl's) aren't working. If i manually pull the knob they worked fine. (This has also gone away and working fine)

Third thing that has now happened with the no start issue, is my door locks. I can lock the doors fine with the switch inside, but they won't work to unlock them (both drivers and pass side).

Is there any way to check to see if the BCM is indeed bad, short of replacing it? Also, if I do replace it, do I need a Tech II to program the VIN into it, or no? (heard conflicting things on this depending on the car)

Any other ideas on things to check out?

Alright, I have power at the positive post near the fuse box, so it's not the fusible link. I'm goin to replace the battery tmrw just to be sure, the threads are pretty wrecked on the negative so we'll see what happens.

Also going to test voltage at the starter tmrw and see what that shows

EDIT: Trying to get a hold of a scanner that's capable of reading BCM codes as well. Only thing I have is my aeroforce and it pulls up nothing. Anyone know of a scanner that will read B/U codes thats not incredibly expensive?

My FSM's also say I don't need a tech II to program the BCM if i replace it, just a normal 30 min security relearn.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
passlock doesnt disable starter, it kills inj pulse and fuel pump within 4 seconds

id say possible ign switch or the battery cables are corroded badly at the terminal crimps, pull the bolt and whole boot off and inspect

ive rarely seen a bcm go down, i have see odd backfeed issues with bvehicles with corroded grounds and voltage drop

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• TwistedSoundCo
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list