weird starting issue

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
My car takes about four seconds to start when the engine is cold or after it has been sitting for more then about an hour. If I restart the car with in an hour of it running the engine fires up as soon as I turn the key. It almost seem like the fuel is bleeding off at the pump after shut down but I have not seen any leaks. The car starts every time but some times it just takes longer then normal after not running for more then a hour.

What should I be looking for?

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Record your coolant temp when you start the car and it is a hard/delayed start. It might be related to the Open Loop Base AF by Coolant table. It might be either rich or too lean. What TB do you have?

Northstar throttle body

It seems that coolant temp does not matter. I can start the car cold, have a hard start and let it run for 10 seconds. Shut it down and restart and it will fire right up with out an issue. On the other hand I can start the car cold, have a hard start and go out for a long drive getting the engine hot, let the car sit for am hour and the engine will still be warm and it hard start again.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Second issue is that while the engine is cold sometimes it will surge really bad for a few minuets. If I lightly press the gas and hold the engine rpm around 1500 for a minuet or two then everything thing is fine. What tables in DHP should I look at for correcting this?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info