N/A 3800 ran, but now wont start at all.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Hello all,

Whenever I have a problem that I'm not sure exactly what the DILLY-yo is, someone on here is like, "it's you Kineuten Valve"...and you're right. So here's my problem.

I have a 2000 Firebird (naturally aspirated) w/ a 3800 hooked up to a manual 5-Speed trans. with just over 100K miles on the odometer. It is garage kept at night. Last night I stopped and put $30 worth of fuel in on my way home at the usual gas station. While on my way into work today, it suddenly died on me when I shifted up into 2nd gear. The car (off the line) had almost no power and was sluggish. Once I shifted into second gear, the engine shut off. After that point the car would not start. Prior to that, the car was running like a champ!

I managed to get it safely off the street, and cranked it over a few times. The car would NOT start once again. The starter is strong and cranked over several times with all kinds of power. Upon cranking, the car sounded like it was choking, but didn't sound like a misfire and the car did not BACK fire. I let the car sit for an hour and when the tow truck came to bring the car home, I did manage to get the car to start. It took a few tries and when it did turn on, it ran for maybe a second (like one...tw.....) and died. The exhaust smelled like gas, as if something wasn't catching or if the engine was flooded.

HISTORY:

Earlier this year, I had the dash out of the car because the Heater Core was plugged from the Dex-Cool breaking down and turning into sludge. I also replaced the Radiator around Thanksgiving, because there was gunk in the cooling system and couldn't get to the heater core at that time. When I finally made the time, I replaced the heater core. The car NOW has green coolant in the Radiator.

At times, I could smell coolant outside of the car. It wasn't all of the time...maybe once every week or two-TOPS! When I could smell it, it was ONLY when I was standing in front of the car on the drivers side (by the headlights) or when I exited the car. If I bent down into the engine bay, there was almost no smell anywhere around the motor or heater core. I say 'almost' because there was a slight hint on the drivers side of the engine, but I couldn't see any anywhere on the engine and there was never any on the ground.

When this happened and I turned the car back on and tried to find the coolant smell, there was nothing anywhere around the engine...only in those two places.

On occasion, the check engine light would come on, but it would always shut off before I had the opportunity to swing into a auto parts store for a scan. The light would literally be on for a minute and turn off. Sometimes it would be on for an hour, but the car is psychic. The second I went to Auto Zone, Advance or O'Reily, the thing would turn off.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?

I was thinking about checking the ignition coils, or the plate the coils plug / screw into. Other than that, it sounds like an ignition problem.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'll check to see if it's the fuel pump. I've hd one of those go out on me before and I forgot to even consider it. Thanks!

Next day EDIT:

So, I got home today to work on the car. I turned on the car and the Fuel Pump made it's little whine noise. I decided to crank the car over. It started and ran for a few minutes, when I turned it off. I then cranked it over right away and the car sat an idled normally. When I gave it a little gas, the rpm's ramped up normally and came down. I did this several times without incident.

Now, I'm thinking it may be a partially blocked fuel filter. Any other idea's?

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I'll post up pictures of what I did, in case someone else on here decides to mod their car to get to the fuel pump easier -OR- in case someone else needs to replace the fuel pump and doesn't want to remove the exhaust, suspension and other parts...and save a few hours worth of work.

What I found was, there are at least 3 different variations of the fuel pump location and how NOT to cut fuel lines or any wires associated with cutting a hole in the floor (which should have been done from the factory) to access the pump.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info