New Turbo Motor Build

MPX1

Ballin out of control
Sep 28, 2012
schererville, in
Block prepped by Van Senus .020 over. Diamond forged ceramic coated pistons. L32 con rods. ATI balancer. Meziere flex plate. Rotating assembly balanced by Van Senus. Cometic 4 layers. 1.7 YT rr. Comp OER lifters. Intense stage 3 turbo cam. ZZP stage 3 heads. ARP main/head studs & con rod bolts.

Attachments

• engsm.jpg
    engsm.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 145
  • engsm2.jpg
    engsm2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 126
  • engsm3.jpg
    engsm3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 124
  • engsm4.jpg
    engsm4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 129
  • engsm5.jpg
    engsm5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 129

MPX1

Ballin out of control
Sep 28, 2012
schererville, in
Now on to the problems... the engine starts no problem. It revs to about 1500 upon cold start. After it starts warming up, the idle raises to 2500 and stays steady there. After a while the headers start glowing. I cannot figure out what is causing this. The wideband is showing between 14.6-15:1 afr. The pcm is only giving an evap code due to the lack of the evap system. I have a new IAC valve, TPS seems to be ok, and the MAF is newer. Checked for vacuum leaks and cannot detect any. My PCV system seems to be working properly. I checked it by hooking a shop vac up to the oil fill cap to see where the suction points were. Also did this with the upper manifold off to see if there were any leaks at the lower. I am clueless now... is it possibly a PCM issue? Mine has a general flash tune from ZZP for my configuration minus the evap delete which i forgot to tell them about.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Now on to the problems... the engine starts no problem. It revs to about 1500 upon cold start. After it starts warming up, the idle raises to 2500 and stays steady there. After a while the headers start glowing. I cannot figure out what is causing this. The wideband is showing between 14.6-15:1 afr. The pcm is only giving an evap code due to the lack of the evap system. I have a new IAC valve, TPS seems to be ok, and the MAF is newer. Checked for vacuum leaks and cannot detect any. My PCV system seems to be working properly. I checked it by hooking a shop vac up to the oil fill cap to see where the suction points were. Also did this with the upper manifold off to see if there were any leaks at the lower. I am clueless now... is it possibly a PCM issue? Mine has a general flash tune from ZZP for my configuration minus the evap delete which i forgot to tell them about.

Nice and clean build BTW! I would think it could be tune related if your car hasn't been tuned in person. Given the extreme build you went with, you need to take your car and get it professionally tuned correctly.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

from the pics it looks like you need to plug the 3/8ths EVAP nipple below and to the left of the IAC motor in the L67 tb

MPX1

Ballin out of control
Sep 28, 2012
schererville, in
from the pics it looks like you need to plug the 3/8ths EVAP nipple below and to the left of the IAC motor in the L67 tb

I plugged the evaporated port on the back of the intake throttle body neck. I didnt plug the nipple on the top side bc it vents to the crankcase. And also I plugged the port on the throttle body temporarily with a bolt and some rtv. I checked all these areas for leaks and also when I hooked up the vac to check crankcase ventilation. I'm lost right now.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I plugged the evaporated port on the back of the intake throttle body neck. I didnt plug the nipple on the top side bc it vents to the crankcase. And also I plugged the port on the throttle body temporarily with a bolt and some rtv. I checked all these areas for leaks and also when I hooked up the vac to check crankcase ventilation. I'm lost right now.

the back port that faces up is the fresh air supply to the crankcase on a stock pcv system it looks like you have a small filter on it that does the same thing as the VC breather.

on the TB there's a nipple pointing towards the front of the car, its exposed to manifold vacuum behind the TB blade, it need to be plugged

at the pcv tower end of the lim/uim is a vertical passage from the crankcase up through the oem pcv valve (that you should have deleted or plugged) that then takes a 90* turn into the UIM plenum where that vac fitting and hose recieves manifold vac from

MPX1

Ballin out of control
Sep 28, 2012
schererville, in
the back port that faces up is the fresh air supply to the crankcase on a stock pcv system it looks like you have a small filter on it that does the same thing as the VC breather.

on the TB there's a nipple pointing towards the front of the car, its exposed to manifold vacuum behind the TB blade, it need to be plugged

at the pcv tower end of the lim/uim is a vertical passage from the crankcase up through the oem pcv valve (that you should have deleted or plugged) that then takes a 90* turn into the UIM plenum where that vac fitting and hose recieves manifold vac from

Sorry I wasn't clear in my response... I do have the 3/8" port on the front of the tb plugged off. I just hadn't gotten to that point at the time the pics were taken. I have a stock Pcv valve installed with the map deleted running a fitting for vacuum lines which go to my boost gauge and fuel pressure regulator. I also tried using a plugged Pcv valve to see if somehow air was getting thru it into the upper manifold. Made no difference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info