Finally got my 11 second pass

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Finally got it. For those that remember this from a few years ago, there was a huge deal with a bunch of local guys. I made a statement about grand prix's being able to run 11's with $2k in mods. After lots of bashing by both parties, clubgp got involved, we had talked about making a bet, which never happened. But, I did however continue to get made fun of for that statement. So, I decided to pursue the 11's for $2k goal on my own. Anyway, here's the story....vids to come once I can get them off the cameras.

Took a day off work Friday, and went down to the drag strip in Tulsa. The gates opened at noon, and we were waiting in line at about 11:40. Once we got in, and unloaded the car, I took it through tech. That was the easiest tech I'd ever been through. Most cars didn't even need to pop their hoods. They had me pop mine as I was almost driving away.

Then, I came back to the pits and put the laptop in, and updated the tune. Went and made my first pass. I wanted to make an all motor pass, for two reasons. I wanted to see how big of a shot I would need to hit 11's, and also how this car compared to my old 97 that had pretty much the same setup.

So, the pass went as follows:

60ft: 1.888
1/8: 8.335
MPH: 83.69
1/4: 13.015
MPH: 104.57

I was pumped after this. That's .7 faster than the car ran last year on the motor. The DA was about 550' on this pass.

Got back to the pits and watched the video. I had a one wheel burnout, and still cut an awesome 60. So, on all the next passes, I took extra caution to get into the burnout box while going straight.

I took a look at the scan and shortly figured out why it went so fast....the car was crazy lean...upper 12's to low 13's afr. So, I added a bunch of fuel and jetted the car for a 75 shot.

I made another pass, this time with nitrous.

60ft: 1.822
1/8: 7.944
MPH: 86.3
1/4: 12.519
MPH: 108.52

The car felt great on the launch, but hit fuel cut when shifting into 2nd, like it did all last year. This caused me to see a 15* spike of KR on the 1-2 shift. The rest of the pass, the car was adding timing back. So, I spent some time looking at the tune. Sure enough, it looked like all the KR had come due to the fuel cut on the shift. I did what I could to firm up the shift, and remove some power during the shift. Then, looking at the scan a little closer, I found that it cut fuel at 6500 rpms. That didn't make sense because I knew the car was wanting to shift was above that. It shifted at 6400 on the "all motor" pass. So, after doing some more digging, I had the fuel cut set for 6500 rpms. Not sure how that happened, but I quickly moved it out to 7200 and got ready for another pass. My girlfriend also did some weight reduction by taking all the papers and stuff out of the door pockets. :biggrin:

So, spraying a 75 shot again, the car went:

60ft: 1.835
1/8: 7.839
MPH: 89.92
1/4: 12.235
MPH: 113.32

Basically the exact same time and MPH, and 60ft that I ran a year on in KC...but on a 125 shot down there.

So, went back to the pit's, pulled out the jets for the 125 shot, and made another pass:

60ft: 1.764 :wow:
1/8: 7.607
MPH: 93.19
1/4: 11.839
MPH: 116.46

The car felt waaaaaayyyyyy faster on that pass. I knew I had run 11's once I went through the traps....I was screaming like a little girl on Christmas morning. The DA was right around 1000' on this pass.

I was thinking about throwing in some bigger jets and seeing what it could hit, but daylight was running out, and I was tired of waiting the the staging lanes....the lines weren't that long, but it would take close to an hour before I would be able to make a pass. Kind of a joke.

But, the track was nice and sticky. So, very nice track....definitely some quick cars there, but they need to work on lining the cars up better.

2012-11-19_11-49-59_751.jpg

And, entire performance mod list required to get the car to run like it did.
11s42kbuild.png

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
The combination of nitrous and the m90 seems to produce lots of heat. I've used 110 before, but the guy I buy race fuel from recommended C16. With 110, I will get some knock. C16, usually won't knock, unless I screw up something on the tune, as shown.

Also, I guess I should add, that I have a huge problem with knock on this motor. It burns lots and lots of oil. I daily drive it, and it will typically go through a quart of oil in 500-1000 miles. So, that significantly lowers the octane of any fuel being used.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Yeah, PCV has been blocked, with new valve installed plumbed up on the exterior with a catch can. Blower was drilled and tapped for NPTxbrb fittings. Slightly better than it used to be, but still way too much oil.

It appears to be an issue with the oiling rings getting dirty and not sealing...which is another story as to how that happened. But, I will find out for sure when the motor is torn down.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
what pump? results? fuel pressure drop?

Stock pump and bucket...2001. It worked fine...no pressure drop. I have an electronic fuel pressure gauge and wideband hooked up 24/7. Just needed to make sure it stayed above 1/4 tank or the pump would suck the bucket dry since I don't have a Venturi.

I only had some 1/8 mile times, but when entering it into an online converter, it came out to about 12.8-12.9. That was on some nitto 555R's. 1.9 60's.

The car had headers, 1.9 rockers, 3.4 pulley, 42.5lb injectors, L76 springs, and I think that was it. So, it wasn't making a ton of power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info