Bad p/s pump vs. bad rack

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
1999 Grand prix, 144,000 miles. car has no power steering turning either direction. Pump makes no noise. I disconnected the pressure line and it pumps fluid out at a steady strem. I have always thought that when there is no power steering turning both ways that the pump is bad, and when there is power steering one way but not the other that the rack is bad. If I still worked at the shop I used to work at I would hook it up to a guage and take pressure readings, but obviously I cant do that. Thoughts?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
1999 Grand prix, 144,000 miles. car has no power steering turning either direction. Pump makes no noise. I disconnected the pressure line and it pumps fluid out at a steady strem. I have always thought that when there is no power steering turning both ways that the pump is bad, and when there is power steering one way but not the other that the rack is bad. If I still worked at the shop I used to work at I would hook it up to a guage and take pressure readings, but obviously I cant do that. Thoughts?

My car had a PS return line leak (metal line rubbed through from touching the a/c compressor due to a bad bodyshop repair). Didn't realize how bad the leak was (it was super slow at first-plus it sucks checking the damn resevoir) and there was no pump whine, but it had no assist. Thought the pump shit the bed, but found it was empty, filled it up, found the now massive leak, fixed it and it was fine.

Then many months later I had no assist when turning left, THAT was the rack. Got a reman ACDelco and been good to go ever since.

All in all I'm basically sayin I think you may be on the right track. Idk which one would be a worse problem to have, both are a pain in the ass IMO.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
remove the belt or at least loosen it and try to pull/slide the pulley and shaft out of the pump, the shaft to pump splines might have sheared off.

ideally pull the cap and look in it with the motor running and have someone turn the wheel you should see a good bit of turbulence in there. if the pump is working ok and producing pressure youll get nice moaning/whining sounds with low fluid/recently drained/air in the lines situation.

usually when the rack fails it will have high effort in only one direction.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Took the pump off. The pump shaft has normal end play, nothing excessive. I noticed that it spins very easily when turning the pulley. Little to no resistance. When I said there is a steady stream it is like water coming out of a faucet. I expected power steering fluid to be blown all over my garage when I unhooked the high pressure line.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info