Help a fellow 3800 brotha out.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was hoping some of you 3800 guys that have messed with tuning could give me some input. Here is my current tune that I am running. I was hoping some of you guys would be nice enough to glance through the tune and let me know if anything looks really fucked up. I decided to tune my car myself, so I am mainly looking for some guidance since this is my first go at it. There have been 2 different tuners that have messed with my trans tables and what not in the past and wanted to make sure nothing was too far off.

The big things are my trans tables, but any input in any part of the tune would be appreciated. Thanks again, Andy.

Attachments

• turbo tune 1.hpt
    470.1 KB · Views: 20

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
i was gonna help but i saw it was an hpt file... so your fucked
haha :jg:

The car is currently running on wastegate pressure only(5psi). I still have a decent amount of fine tuning to do with the fueling, but it runs pretty good at this point. I am running a open downpipe for now, exhaust will be hooked up in a couple weeks probably. I will get some scans up here in a hour or so.

Mod list would be a good idea:

-L67 stock block with some oiling mods done by the mad mechanic
-S1x cam
-YT 1.8 roller rockers
-Milzy Motorsports Stg3 heads with 160# springs (milzymotorsports.com if you want to look)
-dbl roller timing chain
-removed balance shaft
-l36 UIM and LIM
-zzp fuel logs with aftermarket Aeromotive FPR
-60# injectors
-AL 103's gapped at 40 I believe
-electric water pump
-zzp front power log, stock rear for now
-zzp turbo kit with 54mm .63 a/r turbo
-upgraded Treadstone FMIC
-255 fuel pump
-Corn fed
-typical built trans with 3.29 gears and a 3250 stall I believe
That is about all I can think of.

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
i was gonna help but i saw it was an hpt file... so your fucked

x2

The trans could use some work. Maf is not a polynomial?, and the injector don't appear to be scaled right. (Definitely not the same when I compare them to what I run).

Why did you flash to an 04?

Here is a STOCK 04 bin with your cal info added, delete the extension and put .bin to open in dhp (disregardcredits). If James or anyone else wants to throw a tune together for you.

Attachments

• 12585094.hpt
    512 KB · Views: 35

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
x2

The trans could use some work. Maf is not a polynomial?, and the injector don't appear to be scaled right. (Definitely not the same when I compare them to what I run).

Why did you flash to an 04?

Here is a STOCK 04 bin with your cal info added, delete the extension and put .bin to open in dhp (disregardcredits). If James or anyone else wants to throw a tune together for you.

I had to use a 04 monte pcm to get the dash and trans to work correctly. We tried a GTP pcm and it wouldn't work. I figured my tune was jacked up since a couple people have touched it. Thanks for the file!

Also, what cal info did you add to the stock bin?

Larz01

Minnesota Mojo
Dec 15, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
I had to use a 04 monte pcm to get the dash and trans to work correctly. We tried a GTP pcm and it wouldn't work. I figured my tune was jacked up since a couple people have touched it. Thanks for the file!

Also, what cal info did you add to the stock bin?

I would have just used the stock 00 NA file and modified it, but you must have changed the pcs and valvebody in the trans to warrant the use of the 04 calibration/pcm. If you mix the two around the trans will shift max pressure all the time. A GTP's pcm wouldn't work, but montes and implalas are similar.

Serial/VIN with matching osid.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yup, stock everythang. Change the gear ratio to 3.29's, then add everything else.

It looks like 3.29's are already put into the speedo table. Thanks again for that tune, I have been messing with it alot today. I am pretty much switching over some stuff from my old tune (DTC's, fans, fuel cutoff, shift points, etc.) to the stock file you gave me.

There are some tables that I have some questions on though. I am not sure if the changes made in my old tune are necessary though so I have some questions before I change the stock tables. Also, you mentioned that my trans tables could use some work. Any specific tables you were thinking about?

-Desired shift time vs torque table: I would think the lower the time the better for this. I switched in my old 1->2 and 2->3 shifts to the new table which were quicker, but I had some question about the 3->4 shift. My old file had 0.325 put in for 320 ft lbs and greater and the stock one has 0.200 put in for 320 ft lbs and greater. Once again I would think the quicker the time the better, but let me know if I am thinking about this wrong. Should I change the 3->4 shift to my old tune numbers?

-Max torque timing vs RPM vs Cylinder air: Do I need to modify this table at all from stock? My old tune has 30* put in for 0.48 and >3200rpm. I am not sure if this is a table I should just leave stock or not.

-IAT spark advance correction: Do I need to mess with this from stock? Old tune had some changes made. Mainly the values have been doubled on the negative side. instead of -2(stock) it is -4(old tune).

-Main spark vs airmass vs RPM open throttle: first, do the high octane or low octane tables need to be changed from the stock settings at all? My old tune had some small changes. Second, what RPM and g/cyl do I need to mess with to change my WOT timing. It makes sense that only the higher rpm and g/cyl needs to be changed, but I am not sure what limits I need to change to make sure WOT timing is the same. My old tune worked, but I think there were too many boxes changed for WOT timing.

The only parts I have left to mess with are the big ones. Airflow and fuel control tables. You had mentioned that the injectors were not scaled right. What is the best way I should scale them correctly? I have 60#ers from intense and run e85. To my knowledge I need to take stock flow of injectors and divide it by the 60# injectors and then multiply that number across my IFR table. Then add 30% for e85. This correct or am I way off? I am sure I will have more questions down the road. I would appreciate as much help as I can get. Thanks

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i have the very last tune saved on my computer andy that was written for me. problem is, its powertuner. i dont know if you can open it, or someone else can open it, but id be willing to post it andy so you can check out where the settings were in the TGP....

dont know if it would help you at all since im a pussy and never tune my own cars

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
-Desired shift time vs torque table: I would think the lower the time the better for this. I switched in my old 1->2 and 2->3 shifts to the new table which were quicker, but I had some question about the 3->4 shift. My old file had 0.325 put in for 320 ft lbs and greater and the stock one has 0.200 put in for 320 ft lbs and greater. Once again I would think the quicker the time the better, but let me know if I am thinking about this wrong. Should I change the 3->4 shift to my old tune numbers?

This is personal preference. Depending on what the owner is after, I do different things. The lower the number, the quicker it shifts. The Higher the number, the slower it shifts. On my car, I'm running 1-2 and 2-3 somewhere pretty close to the minimum for that table. But, my clutches are shot, so I'm trying to get all that I can out of it. I can throw up a zzp file and DHP file if you want to see what they did with it.

I would also leave 3-4 alone.

-Max torque timing vs RPM vs Cylinder air: Do I need to modify this table at all from stock? My old tune has 30* put in for 0.48 and >3200rpm. I am not sure if this is a table I should just leave stock or not.

-IAT spark advance correction: Do I need to mess with this from stock? Old tune had some changes made. Mainly the values have been doubled on the negative side. instead of -2(stock) it is -4(old tune).

-Main spark vs airmass vs RPM open throttle: first, do the high octane or low octane tables need to be changed from the stock settings at all? My old tune had some small changes. Second, what RPM and g/cyl do I need to mess with to change my WOT timing. It makes sense that only the higher rpm and g/cyl needs to be changed, but I am not sure what limits I need to change to make sure WOT timing is the same. My old tune worked, but I think there were too many boxes changed for WOT timing.

These are again personal preference with a combination of what you can run and where you make the most power at.

Do you know how to use the histogram function? It makes tuning timing and MAF very easy.

The only parts I have left to mess with are the big ones. Airflow and fuel control tables. You had mentioned that the injectors were not scaled right. What is the best way I should scale them correctly? I have 60#ers from intense and run e85. To my knowledge I need to take stock flow of injectors and divide it by the 60# injectors and then multiply that number across my IFR table. Then add 30% for e85. This correct or am I way off? I am sure I will have more questions down the road. I would appreciate as much help as I can get. Thanks

Go to HPT's forum and in the 3800 section you can download the injector spreadsheet. It'll give you the table for whatever injectors you need, then add your 30% for E85.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
excellent man, thanks for the reply! If you could throw up that zzp file I would appreciate it. I can at least use that as a bit of a guideline as I go on making changes to my new tune file.

I haven't messed with those histogram functions at all actually. I tried setting one up when I tried hooking up my wideband through the EGR and HPT but I couldn't get my wideband to pick up in HPT. I would imagine that the histograms would work very well getting fuel trims dialed in though for normal driving.

I will check out that injector table on HPT. Thanks for the heads up on that!

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
excellent man, thanks for the reply! If you could throw up that zzp file I would appreciate it. I can at least use that as a bit of a guideline as I go on making changes to my new tune file.

I haven't messed with those histogram functions at all actually. I tried setting one up when I tried hooking up my wideband through the EGR and HPT but I couldn't get my wideband to pick up in HPT. I would imagine that the histograms would work very well getting fuel trims dialed in though for normal driving.

I will check out that injector table on HPT. Thanks for the heads up on that!

I will get that file up when I get a chance.

And, don't give up on those histograms. They will make your life so much easier.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks alot GTPpower! That file worked so I can at least use it as a guideline for my changes here. I am guessing it is just there canned tune correct?

I do need to fiddle with those histograms...at least for fuel trims not WOT for the moment. I appreciate the help with this guys. I am going to mess with my tune some more now that I have a couple days off. I am sure something will come up that I have no idea about. Might even get balls enough to try the tune I did on my car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info