3800 Need a test/mockup block

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Anybody got a scrapped bottom end with good cam bearings and at least 2 decent lifter bores?

I've got a strong desire to compile some camshaft data for the 3800, because it seems that everyone throws around claims about which cam has steeper ramp rates, which has more overlap, etc etc, this that and the other...

There is ZERO data to back anyone's claims besides their glances at the cam cards, as well as their assumptions made based on the specs. I'd really like to get a test block, head, solid lifter, dial indicator, degree wheel, etc. and compile a full array of cam profiles for most of the more popular grinds out there, just so I can make more educated statements and such about these cams. As far as I know, Paul Jerkatis is the only one in the 3800 world who has done anything like this, and I myself feel it would be beneficial to the entire "community" to publish this info publicly.

So, that being said, does anyone have a crummy old block with mediocre compression, a couple chipped pistons, noisy rod, or other functional imperfection lying around that could be used for this? All it really needs to have is a moving #1 piston (so, a whole crankshaft is sort of important) and working camshaft bores, and decent #1 lifter bores. I don't care if the thing is cracked beyond that, as long as that shit works, I'm ok with it.

This is sort of a random shot in the dark, but I figure the data would benefit anyone interested in the 3800, so perhaps on that note I could get some help from 3800 enthusiasts.

So yeah, any takers?:bigthumb:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I'm looking for a basically functionally worthless block...

I don't stand to make a dime off of this, I purely want to provide a benefit to the community, so I'm not looking to spend anything more than my gas. That sounds like a dick thing to say, but I don't mean it like that, I just don't want this to cost me anything for the block, I just don't have the coin.

To your question, yes, an L36, is fine. An L67, L36, L26, or L32 are all fine, any SII or SIII 3800 is fine, but at this point I'm not willing to pay for it, except what it's worth as raw scrap...i.e. almost nothing. Like I said, it just doesn't make sense for me to pay for a block.

I'm going to have to shell out money for a degree wheel, a dial indicator setup, a pair of solid lifters, and shipping for willing parties to send me cams to test, so I'm already going to have to toss a decent amount of money at this to accomplish what I want to, so I hope you understand my cheapass-ness on the block.

On that note, anyone who has a cam awaiting install that they'd be willing to loan me for such testing would be greatly appreciated. Again, the information gained will greatly benefit the community at large, and help people tailor their heads and overall setup more closely to one of the cams in the potential database of specs.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
I know bikrboy has an L67 block that spun a rod bearing on #1. I guess you can switch the bearings and rod caps from another known good cylinder. I'll see him tomorrow, so I will let him know about this.

It doesn't necessarily HAVE to have a good #1, but #1 is easiest for a reference when testing shit like this.

I have no problem with that though, all I need the piston for is a TDC reference. I can very easily toss a piston from another cylinder on that one. Hell, I'm pretty sure I still have a spare rod with a good bearing around here somewhere, if bikrboy would like to keep the other good pistons.

Again though, on the cheap, I don't want any block that someone wouldn't essentially be throwing out otherwise, unless someone's feeling very generous, which I have no intention of refusing :)

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
And before anyone suggests an off-motor test stand, I have considered that, but sourcing bearings for it is sort of a pain in the ass, although the absence of lifters, rockers, etc is a plus. If I can't get a cheap/free block, I'll go that route.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
yes, i have a paperweight l67 sitting in my bay at work taking up space. let me know if you want it, i was planning on scrapping it anyway :dunno:

Probably do want. If I'm back up in the chicagoland area anytime soon I'll let you know. I might make a special trip since you're giving it away:bigthumb:

Where are you located exactly?

I assume the block is just the shorty? No heads, cam, lifters, etc?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Probably do want. If I'm back up in the chicagoland area anytime soon I'll let you know. I might make a special trip since you're giving it away:bigthumb:

Where are you located exactly?

I assume the block is just the shorty? No heads, cam, lifters, etc?

im in lisle, corner of rt. 53 and warrenville rd. right off highway 88.
yes it is the bare block, but i have a bunch of stock misc internal parts laying around (2 sets of lifters, 2 stock cams, heads, timing gears, blah blah blah)
let me know what you need :wavey:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
im in lisle, corner of rt. 53 and warrenville rd. right off highway 88.
yes it is the bare block, but i have a bunch of stock misc internal parts laying around (2 sets of lifters, 2 stock cams, heads, timing gears, blah blah blah)
let me know what you need :wavey:

bare block, crank (w/ usable main bearings, might have some here though, have to check), at least one good piston, maybe one good rod and usable rod bearings. By usable bearings I mean not blown, used is fine. Also, if you have an L36 timing set, I'd take that too, just to put to rest the debate over whether or not the gears are different.

I'm probably going to get a solid lifter for this, I think I can use the ones LSX guys use.

Thanks for your help mang

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
well i have a bare block (although its not clean) with all good main bearings. it has 5 good rods, caps, rod bearings, and 6 good pistons. the crank is in there, but cyl 1 has a spun bearing. it ground the journal down a good amount.
i dont think i still have my l26 timing gears, i would have to check.

just shoot me a PM whenever you can swing by. i will make sure to keep the block around for you. :bigthumb:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Will do...

Home for me is Springfield, so it's a good haul to get up there, but free is free, and this honduh doesn't burn much gas, so it's still worth my while.

I just wish I hadn't turned my junk 3800 block into a coffee table, I'd just use it :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
bare block, crank (w/ usable main bearings, might have some here though, have to check), at least one good piston, maybe one good rod and usable rod bearings. By usable bearings I mean not blown, used is fine. Also, if you have an L36 timing set, I'd take that too, just to put to rest the debate over whether or not the gears are different.

I'm probably going to get a solid lifter for this, I think I can use the ones LSX guys use.

Thanks for your help mang

neg on the LSx solid lifters, easier to pull the lifter apart glob the inside with JB weld, reassemble and lay lifter on side...i have 2 already prepped that way, works perfect.

why not a couple V blocks, ind, degree wheel? btw i can give you the IS4 profile in pdf cam motions lobe phasing is pretty spot on cyl 2 cyl the only major variation was total lift at ~10* each side of lobe peak

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
neg on the LSx solid lifters, easier to pull the lifter apart glob the inside with JB weld, reassemble and lay lifter on side...i have 2 already prepped that way, works perfect.

why not a couple V blocks, ind, degree wheel? btw i can give you the IS4 profile in pdf cam motions lobe phasing is pretty spot on cyl 2 cyl the only major variation was total lift at ~10* each side of lobe peak

I don't have any V-blocks, nor was I sure where to get them...figured either way they'd be more expensive than a free block.

Plus, I figure people would get more out of actual valve events, rather than lobe. I was also interested to see how much the ratio of a stock 3800 rocker changes through the course of the lift event, since it's a slider tip rocker...

A filled lifter was my backup plan for the lifters, thanks for the info James. I think I have one torn apart downstairs at the moment, maybe I'll take care of that tonight :bigthumb:

Also, I figured I'd compile all the specs in an Excel file, just for the fact that all the specs could be saved in separate sheets in the same file, but a .pdf works too, I can transfer it without an issue. I was actually sitting here thinking I'd love to see the S4 specs, but figured nobody had one. Send em my way my friend...PM me if you need my email addy.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Mat, let us know what items you still need(i see you have quite a few things already). We have two dead blocks we were using for mock up but im sure some parts could be donated for a project like this.

email:[email protected]

I need to make sure I have a head with good guides on cyl #1 or whatever cyl I end up using, but I'm 99% sure I do.

If anyone's got a good caliper to let me borrow, that would be great, dial or digital, or even vernier, as long as it's accurate enough to measure base circles, it would be very helpful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info