Charging system issues.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Ok here is the deal... New alternator and old alternator both charge 17.5 volts at idle to the battery. Alternator gets hot as fuck. Disconnect the red wire from the back of the alternator and it is putting out 14.2 volts to the stud that the wire hooks to. WTF is that? Hook wire back up and it puts out 17.5 and the alternator gets hot again. Bad fusible link that is in the wire running from the alternator to the starter?

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
The plastic protective cover that goes over the positive terminal on the battery looks melted. I ran a wire straight from the alternator to the + side of the battery and it was charging fine that way. Also when it overcharges the little vehicle display on the dash above the radio that tells mpg's, what doors are open, etc. etc. shuts off. Sometimes the abs and trac lights kick on, and the blower motor as well. Where is James, is he awake?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
It only puts out 17.5 when the single red wire is connected, 14.2 when it is disconnected. 3 wire conector plugged in both times.

3 wire is your reference, so the alternator is getting a low reference and upping the voltage to compensate. It is possible that you have a bad voltage regulator(IIRC they are internal to the alternator on our cars).

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
I did. I should probably add that this all started right after I did a front brake job.... I had to beat the drivers side rotor for about 10 minutes with a sledge hammer to get it off of the hub since it was so rusted. Maybe it has something to do with the abs module and wheel bearing? Sounds stupid but I pulled a wiring diagram yesterday and parts of the charging system seem to go to the abs module.....??

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
backprobe the pcm and alt and check voltage drop while running, also to rule out battery cables which love to cause issues with corrosion do the jumper cable bypass to rule out the power or ground cables if youy dont wanna voltage drop test those

are all 3 grounds at the bellhousing bolt good? the chgassis ground good?
a branched plate in the battery can really cause some odd shit when internal battery resistance drops or rises

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Is it a pink wire with a black tracer? If so that's power to the regulator. If you have 2 wires then I will hypothesize that the other wire goes back to the dash and the bulb runs in series with it to power. At least this is how the old CS-130s were wired. I ran into a problem on my van where it wasn't charging. Bought a new alternator and replaced the battery, no dice. As it turns out I unplugged the connector at the alternator and the charge light stayed on! This basically meant I had a short to ground, which meant that the alternator would always be switched "off." The fix was to shunt a bulb from the pink/black wire to the brown wire at the alternator, and disconnect the light in the dash. In your case you may have a different problem, such as an increased resistance in this path. I think that hooking a bulb up as I described and seeing if your output drops is a good call. If so it is likely there is excessive resistance some where within the light circuit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info