Strut Tower Rot - Is it saveable?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Slow chevy's thread got me thinking about weather my car was getting bad, I'd never checked it before. Pulled back the trunk mats and it's definitely rusting, but the strut hasn't bent it's way through yet. Is it saveable if I do something about it now? What can I do to stiffen it up and stop it from rusting further?

Left:
Left1.jpg

Left2.jpg

Right:
Right1.jpg

Right2.jpg

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
:werd: This is a nasty flaw on their part. Do I just clean the area real well and spray the coating as is or do I need to do some sanding first? Trying to do everything I can to prevent this from getting worse. Anyone have any more suggestions for getting rid of what's there or preventing more? That por15 looks like a pretty good option.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
if your going to keep the car i would use a rollock disk or wire wheel and take it down to bare metal and have some one weld some thin plate under there to add strength then coat it, if your not going to keep it wire brush it and under coat it and dump the car

Paging the body guys on here for a rough estimate on what the metal plate idea would cost?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
The only way I can think of making the project easier, safe and reliable is to cut out the bad metal but leave in that heavy gauge plate and then just make a new patch panel to fill in the hole. No matter what welding and grinding up there is going to suck giant asshole.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
or how about just replacing the inner and outer wheel house its allot more work allot of work but the rot is gone for good, and it will cost allot of money

or how about this...............remove the suspension, cut out the affected rot, using the old as a template i would use 16 or 18 gauge metal using the template to shape and drill the holes needed in the new metal

weld it in place it sounds easy but its not huge pain in the taint i wouldnt want to do it lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i know i write wayyy to many essays but what ya'll dont even read what i post anymore?

after several days of dry weather (make sure any moisture is long evaporated) spray it all down with oil, the oil will keep oxygen from getting to the steel which means it will halt the corrosion....plus it will actually seep/absorb into the rust/crevices where coatings will not. if you wish to, after coating and letting it soak in for a week or so you can clean off the surface in the wheelwell with brake cleaner/solvent and coat it to keep tire spray outta there

btw first gen W's had transverse leaf springs...the strut buckets are only used for the shocks, they do not support the weight of the vehicle....so the buckets are thinner and one piece....e.g. there's no sandwiched layers of steel for saltwater to to accumulate and start corroding.

every year before winter, coat the chassis with oil in a spray bottle then park it in front of a neighbors house or over cardboard....keep it away from rubber bushings everywhere you can...

this works best on a clean car but it will delay the inevitable

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Thanks! I'll try that this week! How long does it need to dry for? Like if it's going to rain that night do I need to park it in the garage? And I'm assuming the heavier weight the oil the better? I'm thinking I'll do the oil, let that dry, than put the rubber coating on it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
no its fine if it rains...just dont DRIVE it in the rain/wet where the tire can splash/sling water up there.

on a bad one like yours i would go from above with a light/thin oil like airtool or 3in1 oil (a 3in1 oil can is damn near the perfect size/applicator for this) to let it easily get to the middle of the rust bubbles. id prob remove anything that can be removed with your fingers (loose scale/seperated paint) before this.
after a couple aplications of light oil id lay on a heavier oil (not gear oil unless you like the smell)

if all you do is apply to the top (helps you keep oil away from the rubber mount of the strut if you are carefull) after the first day or so you will prob see the oil "wetting" the rust in the wheel well which means its soaked throough at lest the loosest parts of rust, i only suggest waiting longer with the thinner oil so it has time to creep into the "fresh" rust zones near the steel itself.

once its through, wipe down the wheel well area with brake cleaner to get rid of the oil that will keep shit from sticking and id use rtv to seal the rusty seams...then coat with rubberized undercoating to seal any small area's you may have missed with the rtv....remember the oil will attack the rubber and turn it into tar

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info