Learn me about Eaton M90 Blowers

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You probably won't see anywhere near the gains you're hoping for. A blower just blows hot ass, useless air. It's like the guys that run JRSC's on Integras, civics, etc. They're barely faster than a bolt on integra. Turbo that shit, don't waste time with a blower.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
An intercooler/aftercooler would help a lot, but it would have to be 2" or more thick. Anything less would be useless. An 04+m90 aka a GenV m90 would make 300whp, but GP's with heads/cam have a hard time getting 350whp, although it is a less efficient motor. IDK man, up to you i guess, all that shit sticking out of the hood is going to make you look like a ricer, but it's your car. A clean turbo kit would not only be 10x more functional, but look 10x better.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The smallest pulley you seen ran on one is a 2.55 inch pulley. Stock on a Wbody 3800 is 3.8 inches. Dunno much about the Tbird M90s. I know on my gen 5 blower with a 3.5 pulley, the most I ever saw was 12lbs of boost, but the norm was 10lbs. However, once you started doing cams, and heads and such, that can play with boost numbers as well, so who knows what the boost numbers would be with your application.

Even non ICed, it is worth it. Saying it isnt is like saying a GPGT and a GTP make the same HP and run the same times.

What would it take to make a M90 work though for you? Cause a turbo might be the same amount of money, and if that is the case, Id opt for the turbo.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
pics of plenum without the cover?
if you have the room for a belt drive and can swing a 7.25" ish crank pulley id say a pulleyed m90 on a 3.2 would do nicely, its high compression as is so you wouldnt have to go too far outta the m90's efficiency to maximize power without an IC

if you have the plenum for it and or have to make an adaptor plate you could potentially score and use an IC core for cheap. if you do it right hell you could turn the lower plate of an IC into the adaptor plate.

dont be like everyone else, people do respect insanity...eventually

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009
[URLhttp://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbotech.html[/URL]

There is some info on the M90 there. I have a better resource on my work computer (will try to remember to post tomorrow).

I run a non-IC M90 in my white car. it works well in combination with E85, but that is about it.

thanks for the link, tons of info on there.

An intercooler/aftercooler would help a lot, but it would have to be 2" or more thick. Anything less would be useless. An 04+m90 aka a GenV m90 would make 300whp, but GP's with heads/cam have a hard time getting 350whp, although it is a less efficient motor. IDK man, up to you i guess, all that shit sticking out of the hood is going to make you look like a ricer, but it's your car. A clean turbo kit would not only be 10x more functional, but look 10x better.

I really don't care who calls it a ricer or not, I build cars for myself not to appease movements or fads. A turbo would require much more modification to incorporate and that means more money, that I'm not so eager to spend on it. This is like a last hurrah for me with Civic's....I've driven the car less than 20 miles since I bought my S2000 a month ago. I'm not saying I'm going to do it but the idea has bounced around my head.

The smallest pulley you seen ran on one is a 2.55 inch pulley. Stock on a Wbody 3800 is 3.8 inches. Dunno much about the Tbird M90s. I know on my gen 5 blower with a 3.5 pulley, the most I ever saw was 12lbs of boost, but the norm was 10lbs. However, once you started doing cams, and heads and such, that can play with boost numbers as well, so who knows what the boost numbers would be with your application.

Even non ICed, it is worth it. Saying it isnt is like saying a GPGT and a GTP make the same HP and run the same times.

What would it take to make a M90 work though for you? Cause a turbo might be the same amount of money, and if that is the case, Id opt for the turbo.

Plenum modification or custom plenum with an intake arm and some fancy belt routing really. This would be a non IC'd obviously which creates the least amount monkeying. The man drawback to a turbo is the turbo location and exhaust manifold routing...there really isn't a great way to go about it, or a cheap way. I'd figure I would be spending close if not over 1k just to have some manifolds fabbed, whereas this whole sc idea could be done for about that much.

pics of plenum without the cover?
if you have the room for a belt drive and can swing a 7.25" ish crank pulley id say a pulleyed m90 on a 3.2 would do nicely, its high compression as is so you wouldnt have to go too far outta the m90's efficiency to maximize power without an IC

if you have the plenum for it and or have to make an adaptor plate you could potentially score and use an IC core for cheap. if you do it right hell you could turn the lower plate of an IC into the adaptor plate.

dont be like everyone else, people do respect insanity...eventually

There is definately room for the belt drive, what do you mean by an intercooler core? As in the go between for the blower to plenum...all on top of the plenum?

Here is the bare manifold:
1309016334.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I'd look into the M112. Little more money, but will feed a bigger beast. Not only that but you can get a KB for it easy if/when you want more boost. I'd try to make the engine produce as much HP N/A as possible and have the blower be the "icing on the cake."

Besides that high pressure ratios are NOT the friends of the roots blowers, The efficiency starts going south after 10 PSI very quickly, even from 5 to 10 you start generating a lot more heat. Here are a few maps to illustrate my point:

M112deltaT.gif

M90power.gif

M90flow.gif

Something you can do without adding an inter-cooler is methanol/water injection. It would probably make a big difference with these blowers.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah but your either gonna be fine or have to make a new lower plate anyways but at least be ok using the upper plate. the question is the upper plate bolt pattern/dimensions to see if you can just modify a 3800 ic or just make a flat plate adaptor. and yes an mps taht doesnt use tapered seat bolts would let you flip pulleys around if you needed to offset the belt alignment, you can also get about 1/4 inch of adjustment from adjusting where on the shaft the hub is pressed onto

this is one of those split/dualport style intake manifolds?

whats under the upper/center cover? are those the short runners? im trying to picture the layout

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Wow thats a crazy intake. Theres a guy who machined a custom plate to mount his M90 to a LQ1 3.4 DOHC V6 in his 95 monte carlo. Hes running a stock pully I believe. That motor was 225hp from the factory. I think if it can handle an M90 then yours can

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You should just make some one-off ITB's for it, would be easy-ish. You'll need some type of standalone anyways, so it's def an option. I don't think there are very many J32 ITB cars, if any at all.

If you're stuck on an m90, making a plate to adapt to both would be pretty easy-ish too. By the looks of it, I think placing the m90 close enough to the pulleys to get the belt around it will make it hang pretty far over the front of the engine. Still possible to make an intake, but a little more tough at the same time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info