3800 Powertuner Source code

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
I WAS planning to make some improvements to the Powertuner software (or a complete reiteration of it) via the source code or reverse compiled code.

However, if they are known to sue 3rd party developers (especially now that it's a 'dead' product) I would feel stupid to touch it. It could quickly amount to a waste of time.

I feel bad for owning one or furthering the "cause" if that's how they treat developers.

Just Yourshadow

Who the hell is this guy?
Aug 25, 2008
Fox River Grove
Real Name
Robert
Like I said as long as you don't share it your covered under fair use. You have the right to tinker with anything you buy as long as it doesn't hurt the company or person you bought it from. Now I'm not quite sure how it would go over in this situation since DHP is no more and I don't see how Charles would be directly effected by it unless there is some trade secret in there but with HP Tuners out I doubt there is anything DHP has that HPT hasn't found.

Just Yourshadow

Aug 25, 2008
Fox River Grove
Real Name
Robert
Just found this

Restricted Rights

This program has not been published by the copyright owner, and has been disclosed to other parties only under license, prohibiting unauthorized disclosure, copying, or use. Any unauthorized copying, use, or disclosure is strictly prohibited under such license by the software owner in accordance with the Trade Secret Act of Utah.

If someone can find the original owner of the software and ask them for permission there isn't much DHP or Charles could do about it

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
It's shit like this that really pisses me off that I bought PT...the idea that you're contributing to someone that cares about the 3800 community, but then just jumps ship and hangs everyone out to dry with essentially obsolete software, and no ability to improve it, despite numerous people who could and would improve it.

It's fucking silly, and Charles really made himself look like an asshole in that respect...

curado

Regular
Nov 11, 2008
Yes, I thought I bought a paperweight. It didn't come with the software, so I emailed DHP. They directed me to a "support" thread a couple days later saying I was SOL basically. Luckily a club member was generous and gave me a copy. I still haven't been activated on the Powertuner forum, which irritates me ..

I know I'm not accomplishing anything by bitching about it. Last night I went ahead and started on a VE tuning gadget. I haven't looked at anybody else's Excel files or table editors yet, but my goal was to show AFR and KR for each MAP/RPM intersection. That's how I effectively tuned my megasquirt setup on my other car.

I would have liked to have made it real time, but I am not sure if I can stay within the realm of what's legal if I interface directly with the DHP software or hardware. IT WOULD HELP IF I HAD THE SOURCE CODE .. lol

Just Yourshadow

Aug 25, 2008
Fox River Grove
Real Name
Robert
The site works, yes but once you register a new account you never get activated so its no use. I had to get a friends login to get the software. What we're getting at is we could update the software with new features but Charles has the source code under lock and key. DHP maybe gone but that doesn't mean powrtuner can't keep up with HPT in some aspects

DOHCZ34

Oct 23, 2008
Twin cities, MN
Real Name
Chris
FWIW - The later versions of PT went one-step beyond obfuscation. Running a decompiler against the assemblies doesn't produce much info to reverse-engineer the software.

yeah .netz... just get 1.2.2 and decompile all you want :dunno:.

It's shit like this that really pisses me off that I bought PT...the idea that you're contributing to someone that cares about the 3800 community, but then just jumps ship and hangs everyone out to dry with essentially obsolete software, and no ability to improve it, despite numerous people who could and would improve it.

It's fucking silly, and Charles really made himself look like an asshole in that respect...

That's the thing, I would love to seem him pursue any litigation against an open source project. You know theres a reason why tunercat, efilive, hp tuner don't store cal files in the db/code right? Whose property do you think that is? Not charles's.

He tucked tail and bounced. Simple as that. Source and modify all you want, If you want help there are a handful of people with a lot of time into this. :io:

It's time that this project finally gets rolling :nannerpunk:

:squintfinger: chucky.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info