Gym membership cost

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
Thinking of getting my fat butt into the gym. I’m 31 now and last time I was really there was high school.

I’m on the northside of the city. So there is a XSport on Elston, a planet fitness in Lincolnwood and an anytime fitness in Niles.

Only place that post up prices is planet, anytime starts at $39 and XSport starts at $9

What are you guys paying for membership and are you taking full advantage of the gym? I would love to do a one time payment for the full year, so no bs billing issues.

I’m mainly looking to cut down weight, doing more cardio and light lifting.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
That place looks like its ridiculously busy every single time I drive past there. Doesnt matter what time of day it is, if theyre open the parking lot is packed.
Yes it is insanely busy most hours of the day. I try to get in there between 2p-2:30p during the week and at 7am on Saturday and its not that bad. I refuse to go in there anytime after 5pm during the week. Its a friggin mad house!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My new job has a full gym on campus so I cancel my gym membership, however used to do planet fitness. Can’t beat 10 dollars a month. Anything more is just robbery unless your some serious weight trainer who needs all the extra little features there is no reason to pay more.

Unless like above it’s 1 or 2 miles away.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
You get what you pay for in most cases.

Ever thought about doing something like CrossFit or taking boxing/mma classes? I think the group exercise aspect of it keeps a lot of people on top of going to a gym and taking it seriously. If you don’t have discipline to go on your own regularly, it’s a major incentive.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
You get what you pay for in most cases.

Ever thought about doing something like CrossFit or taking boxing/mma classes? I think the group exercise aspect of it keeps a lot of people on top of going to a gym and taking it seriously. If you don’t have discipline to go on your own regularly, it’s a major incentive.

I was thinking about this as well. When I had people to go to the gym with I always went, then when everyone started moving away and there was nobody else going I stopped going as well.

I always hear mixed results about crossfit, like serious weight lifters say its horrible for you because the moves can be kind of out of control?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Honestly unless a gym is super expensive it should be about which is more convenient for you to go to. I would suggest paying monthly without a commitment vs paying for a year up front. There's many reasons or excuses why you wouldn't go and throw that money away.

My first gym was part of my apartment complex, free with rent. Had 80% of everything I would have ever used. I rarely used it.

I then had a gym across the parking lot of work and had 3 friends that pushed and motivated me. It was $5 a paycheck and had more equipment that I ever used. I went 5 days a week for 4 years consistently, I went from being an out of shape fatass to the best shape of my life (late 20's early 30's)

I switched jobs and started at XSport think it was $30 a month and I only went a handful of times.

I also tried LA Fitness which is 2 blocks from my house $30 a month, again I paid for a 1 year commitment and only went twice. Complete waste of money.

Point being, if your self motivated doesn't matter where you go or what you pay only that you go. If your not self motivated find some friends or co-workers and go to their gym.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info