Hard water fisherman of TCG

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I'm not much of a warm weather fisherman, save for a handful of times a year i'll bring a rod out to the harbor or go out with my dad on his boat. I was introduced to ice fishing by a coworker of mine last winter. After my first outing, I was hooked. Immediately after, I bought all the basics for getting on the ice: hand auger, scoop, a cheap spinning ice combo, pair of tip ups, the basic tackle necessary and a comfortable bucket to sit on. This season i picked up another rod/reel combo and two more tip ups. This way i have enough gear to drag a friend along with me, or at least not have to be tying up different baits on rods all the time. For $100 you can easily get all the basics necessary, which is awesome. Super low cost of entry to the sport unlike most hobbies we are into.

I've only fished three lakes so far. Pure Rod and Gun club in Plainfield, Beaver Lake in Morris (private), and a private strip mine lake on my buddy's property. Wax worms and live minnows are the bait of choice, and i've started using some small plastics with good luck too.

I have fun just getting out there and pulling anything out on a hook through the ice.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Hardwater Fisherman Reporting :wavey:

Good amount of ice fishing Derbies in my area in the next few weeks which can be a blast when you have a big group of friends, snowmobiles, quads, grilling food and ofcourse alcohol... Though I prefer getting out during the week when it's not so crowded on the good lakes around my area.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
This is going to be a crappy season. After this weekend i don't the binahywhere in northern IL is going to see fishable ice.

I'm out at a coworker's lake house for the weekend a bit northwest of rockford, on lake summerset. Private lake. We did pretty well yesterday. 50-60ish fish between the two of us, fishing out of the same hole all day. Nothing huge, pulling anything through the ice is fun to me. Perch, largemouth and bluegill. We plan to head out for a few more hours today before i need to head back home.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
This is going to be a crappy season. After this weekend i don't the binahywhere in northern IL is going to see fishable ice.

I'm out at a coworker's lake house for the weekend a bit northwest of rockford, on lake summerset. Private lake. We did pretty well yesterday. 50-60ish fish between the two of us, fishing out of the same hole all day. Nothing huge, pulling anything through the ice is fun to me. Perch, largemouth and bluegill. We plan to head out for a few more hours today before i need to head back home.

eating any of them? enough fish for a tcg fish fry

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I'm not much of a warm weather fisherman, save for a handful of times a year i'll bring a rod out to the harbor or go out with my dad on his boat. I was introduced to ice fishing by a coworker of mine last winter. After my first outing, I was hooked. Immediately after, I bought all the basics for getting on the ice: hand auger, scoop, a cheap spinning ice combo, pair of tip ups, the basic tackle necessary and a comfortable bucket to sit on. This season i picked up another rod/reel combo and two more tip ups. This way i have enough gear to drag a friend along with me, or at least not have to be tying up different baits on rods all the time. For $100 you can easily get all the basics necessary, which is awesome. Super low cost of entry to the sport unlike most hobbies we are into.

I've only fished three lakes so far. Pure Rod and Gun club in Plainfield, Beaver Lake in Morris (private), and a private strip mine lake on my buddy's property. Wax worms and live minnows are the bait of choice, and i've started using some small plastics with good luck too.

I have fun just getting out there and pulling anything out on a hook through the ice.

Just read this. My uncle has been a member at pure rod and gun for as long as I can remember.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
the wind is nuts out here, we made it out for just under two hours and came in. I hit about 20 bass, 2 bluegill and 2 perch. the wind was strong enough that the sleds were pulling themselves. i had a full beer sliding across the ice on its own
We didn't even try today....wind is nuts and were severely hungover!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info