Chump car Road America Fall 2016

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So inbetween 60-70 hour work weeks our team managed to get our RX7 ready for the Chump car race at Road America. We had 5 drivers this time which was amazing vs the 3 we had in the spring. I unfortunately got dragged into working until saturday morning so I only got a short stint on Saturday.

Woke up sunday morning from my terrible sleeping situation due to poor planning on my part to fog/rain/misty conditions. I then found out I am the first person to be put in the car. Goal was to drive 2 hours as that is the limit before you get flagged. We had been running great the day before and actually figured with our fuel burn we could make 2.5 to almost 3 hour stints which is great if we go back and do Lemons races this upcoming year.

Fastest time on saturday were 3:08.. today with different tires and damp conditons our best time went up to 3:16. Still a lot of tweaking and work to be done to the car to make it handle better. Don't have any video from saturday as I am the tech person who wasn't there so we got like 20 photos of a teammates face.

Quickest driver on Sunday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npP9Ye8rb6c&t=1s

My boring water racing where I slowly got more and more comfortable with where the line was in the damp. I should have been more aggressive early but I had locked up the brakes quite a bit through turn 3 and Canada as they remained wet a lot longer then the rest of the track. Also losing a lot of time compared to some cars in the carousel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-wr3XucEdM&t=3802s

Managed to play a little bump and grind with somebody else through Canada. I feel like I gave enough room but I think the fact that it was wet a lot longer then the rest of the track played into it. Only 2 marks on the car and I should have kept on going to give my team more time to prepare drivers/fueling crew.

If you jump to this you can see where we tried to occupy the same space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqXsgCvnMCQ

Bad news is our 3rd driver had the misfortune of not noticing we lost our water pump belt, Coolant temps hit 260 and we lost the seals and magic pixie dust in the 13b. Still managed 11 of 14 hours run and was a great stress reliever from my past few weeks. Felt the most comfortable in the car and just wish I had some more time in it to drop my times a bit more and become more consistent.

Next years plans are swap in a NC miata transmission with RX7 tailshaft, 2.0 Duratec out of a Ford focus and some megasquirt as rebuilding/finding rotaries is proving to become more expensive as the years go on. Hoping also for a front splitter/rear wing.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
wet line is pretty much the opposite of the dry line. do you guys have diff tires for wet? someone who can really rock in the wet blows the fuuuuck out of everyone else that hates and doesn't practice in it. i sure suck in it.

i do 2 hands on the wheel 9 and 3 unless shifting on like 95%+ of my street driving, 100% of my track driving. y'all too casual for me there

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
wet line is pretty much the opposite of the dry line. do you guys have diff tires for wet? someone who can really rock in the wet blows the fuuuuck out of everyone else that hates and doesn't practice in it. i sure suck in it.

i do 2 hands on the wheel 9 and 3 unless shifting on like 95%+ of my street driving, 100% of my track driving. y'all too casual for me there

Dfiferent tires would require more money... so no. We were on 200tw toyos 195 front 225 rear. On saturday we were on a square setup of 225 RS-3's. I watched a couple cars especially E30's and the DSM blow by us taking the wet line. I tried to use it for some spots.. it was just odd as some corners were really wet and others completely fine to take a normal line. Made for an interesting first 30 minutes for me. The video's don't seem to show how often the car was loose/locked up in some spots.

Are you talking about the fastest lap video.. that is our quickest driver who is a funny eastern european dude I am just happy he shifted before 8000 rpm most of the time.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Great to see you guys getting out to different events! My other drivers for the 3800 Firebird were up at Road America with our Lemons car earlier this year for just a non-competitive event. I've been there a handful of times with my personal car, and once with the Lemons car. It's a great track and I love racing there.

I have newfound respect for racing in the rain after doing a rainy Lemons race at Autobahn in 2012. Having a rear wheel drive car was indeed a challenge, especially with all the lighter front wheel drive cars understeering happily through the corners. LOL

Glad you guys had fun and came through relatively unscathed!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info