Specialty tool rental, how special of tools do they have at auto parts stores ???

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Im looking to rent or use a few specialty tools and didnt know if the auto parts stores usually have fairly specific things or how that works...

I need one for my power steering pulley, and one to install a new rear main seal, and possibly the new harmonic balancer.....

I was going to order the rear main installer tool (OTC-7786) but its on backorder at summit, and I would honestly rather not blow $100 on it to put in one rear main seal. Ive read about 9 million people having theirs still leak after installing it because they used something other than the install tool so Im wanting to do this one time only...

The power steering pump is toast on the car so I needed to replace it but didnt have a puller, so Im trying to find one of them as well....

The new harmonic balancer directions say to put the balancer in boiling water for 15 minutes to get it to expand some and it should slide on fairly easily, but I figure it might be nice to have the tool for the job just incase....

Anyone have any of these tools, or know if I can just use them from Napa or one of the other auto parts stores ??? Ive never used any tools from them so I dont know how that whole thing works....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info