Anyone know about TVs?

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
dun4791 said:
Im in the market to get a new TV. Anyone have any suggestions? I know nothing about them. I want about a 50-52 inch widescreen. LCD? Plasma? Would like to spend about 3000.00. Sony?Mitsubishi? Any american ones?

Lyle

i dont know about tv's but i know enough to tell you to stay away from the mitsu 62 dlp, i bought one last year and dust constantly gets on the mirrors and showh spots on the screen. i allready had it replaced once. plus the fan is very loud. cross this one off your list for sure!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I recommend you take a look at the Samsung line of DLP TV's.

I have one of the first generation Samsung DLP TV's which I've had for about 5 years and it's been great. No problems whatsoever and the picture is still as perfect as the day I bought it.

They have MUCH more advanced models these days. Here is a link to the HL-R5078W Samsung 50 inch on Tiger Direct. It's a true 1080p TV with a 10,000:1 contrast ratio and it's under $2,000.

Samsung HL-R5078W

Also, even though Samsung is a Korean company, they do assemble most of their US marketed TV's here in the states. They're one of the last remaining companies that do this. Most other manufacturers assemble their stuff in China.

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
I got a Mitsu 65" CRT projection and it rocks but is very large in size.

Costco has a real nice 50" Plasma made by Vizio that is a great deal and the reviews are really good. itz only $1999 also, cheapest on the market and come with 5 year warranty and Costco's lifetime return policy.

I am gonna pick up the Plasma form Costco soon...

More info on it...
http://www.vizio.com.au/index.php/pi_pageid/7/pi_productid/1

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Panasonic makes most of the HDTVs and sells them to the other companies so I figure they probably make their own sets just a little better. Consumer Reports has Panasonics for all four of their recommended HDTVs.

You can find this set on sale for just over $3,000. Best Buy has it on sale for $3,325. Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV Model: TH-50PX60U

Consumer Reports recommended the TH-50PX50U and I think the 60U is the similar newer model.

For more info, here's a Best Buy link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat21300050049&id=1134702980410

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
A lot of people have their TVs professionally color calibrated after it is installed to ensure you are seeing what you are supposed to see in magnificent detail.

Go here: http://www.thelittleguys.com/ they KNOW their stuff, all professionals work there. They have TVs that cost more than a Porsche 911, but also reasonable ones. They are local for you too, Steve Dahl is always recommending them as they have installed all of his audio/video in his home.

HDTV with 1080p is a MUST since everything is converting to that pixel resolution. Will be great for blu-ray DVD and such when it gets rolling in the market.

Plasma is the absolute best picture/color quality. Burn-in is minimal with newer models, I still wouldn't play video games on a plasma. The cost of plasma TVs are well above LCD and DLP.

DLP is nice, the colors are true from black to RGB to white. It's sharp but not as sharp as an LCD or Plasma. There is an issue on DLP that will drive you nuts once you notice it. Trails. Before you purchase a DLP set, watch some FAST ACTION movie scenes on it. If you have good eyes, you will see a trail effect as if it's studdering on the screen. It happens VERY fast but I notice it and it drives me crazy. Major con of DLP in my opinion, but beautiful still or slow action display.

LCD is my favorite between cost savings (without having to go Plasma) and picture quality. The picture is extremely sharp (better than DLP) but the downside to LCD is true color display. It cannot display true black. You will notice when there are scenes where it "fades to black" to fade into another scene, etc, it fades to almost a dark grey. You can see the color spill-over when it fades to black. This is a minor issue in my opinion since fast action is more important than fading to black. Who is really paying attention when it fades out anyway? But it is a tad annoying.

Plasma is the ultimate, no issues unless you leave something on the screen still for hours upon hours, then it can burn in the screen and leave a ghost image of it, but the little guys told me the newer models wash out the ghost over time. Plus all plasma is true flat panel!!!!!!!!!!

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
We have a Panasonic DLP and if you are ever in the Streamwood area, we can cuddle and watch a movie together big guy. You can see my happy trail too... jk.

I haven't noticed the trailing Mike is talking about... but I'll have to check it out.

PS DLP ROCKS!!!!

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
I'm going with the new Samsung 1080P DLP. The one where the color wheel is gone and replaced by a new LED color system. The "rainbow" effect that some people could see on a DLP TV is gone now with this new technology. And it has a better picture quality to comparable Sony, Mitsubishi, and Panasonic models. But that last statement is just my and other's opinions. Go to an ABT or Tweeter store and look at the new Samsung along side the other manufacturers and look for yourself. I think one of the best features too, is that the Samsung is the only one that has a true 1080P input. So when we eventually get 1080P signals like Blu-ray and other sources, the Samsung can play that true signal without having to upconvert it.

The best place to buy electronics and other things is pricegrabber.com believe me. You will be amazed at the prices you can find on anything there, especially expensive TV's.

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
The problem with the wall mount stuff is you still have to find a place for your Descrambler box, DVD player and Stereo Surround. Phillips had a built in DVD but you still have to find a home for the rest of the stuff. After 42 " Lcd is no good especially if you have a large room where you will be looking at the TV from the sides, the picture quality diminishes. 42" or bigger with the Plasma is OK. The one thing I noticed is that the glare off the screen on some of the sets was too much. You could see reflections in the backround because the screen was so glossy. I ended up with a 44" panasonic DLP and bought all panasonic stuff like the surround and DVD player because I hate having 20 remotes laying around where you cant find them. No matter what brand you settle on get the affiliated stuff to go with it. Go to best buy and circuit city and look at the quality of the screen and see if you can see your reflection. If so move on to the next set. Also some of the reviews you read are purposly posted by the manufactuers/ or retailers. No way a person off the street would write that detailed about the technical differences between brand "A" and brand "B".

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Flatliner said:
I haven't noticed the trailing Mike is talking about... but I'll have to check it out.

I think I know what he's talking about. You can't see it on my DLP TV, but it may occur on cheaper, lower quality DLP TV's.

I have a couple of cheap DLP projectors I use at work. When looking at the picture, if I move my eyeballs back and forth real quick, I can see the rainbow effect. However, it never occurs when there's fast action on the display.

BlckCobra

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2005
haha i was reading the thread... i got a DLP its pretty nice, i dont know what size it is... i think i like it over the plasma i got too, it doesnt ghost as much while playing cs:s. heres some pics of my one setup in my roomy... :headbang:

and the remote to control all of it...

BlckCobra

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2005
nytebyte said:
Set your PC's screen resolution to match the DLP TV resolution and the image will fill the whole screen.

I have mine set to 1280x720 and it looks perfect.

ya i can get it to fit it perfect but it looks stretched... im hardcore gamer so if i do that shit than its weird just when you play first person games... the plasma i got in my room though like adapts to any resolution i throw at it... but it ghosts sometimes when it gets to hott :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info