5.0 or 350

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
I want to get a project car for next season. I have my 2 valve mustang which will have a built short block etc etc but the wife is nagging quite a bit about the money that I spend on it and I would like to avoid blowing another motor.

So my next step would be to get myself a dedicated track car... I have a couple of buddies who wants to join me in this project and we are contemplating 2 options. a 5.0 mustang or a GM smallblock. I am of course trying to get us the mustang....

I need some advice though to help me push my wishes. Is an early 90's good as far as cost, parts availability etc? I want to start running the cars in the 12's with minor mods (built motor & juice) and then progress to 11's. Where should I start looking for this project car? Please give me some advice..

Joe

You could find a 87-93 notch back because of weight.......and do heads/ cam /intake and all the little bolt on's and a SCT chip......

If your real serious about having track only car......start out with a good foundation like a R302 block...will be the last 302 block you buy......and good forged internals.....

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
The 5.0 L will probably less expensive due the entire drive train being made for a Mustang.

Funny thing, you can get away w/ buying a 12 sec. car or quicker for less than putting one together.

Example, in Orland, I know of a prestine 93 hatch (cherry red) - you can eat off the bottom. Used to be a Pure Street car that has been converted into a 12 sec. street car. All bells and whistles. Even a fresh motor.

In about a month it will be going up for sale --- $8000 is asking price.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Man, this guy asked for a more budget oriented race car and some of you are offering up suggestions of built/turbo'd 2V 5.4's and shit!!! hehehe. Some of you nedd serious help for that addiction! See you all at the counselor next week. hehe.

Seriously though. It depends on what you want to do. Either one is a very capable and inexpensive option. I think that I would be automatically pulled towards a pushrod 302 because I tend to lean towards Ford. However, I havent been able to dig my hands into a Chevy engine yet and that really entices me to want to get one and tear into one of those. Both are very viable options in the right hands. It all boils down to what the majority of your group just feels comofortable with, or wants to dig into at this time. Thats the best advice I can offer. As for actually looking for one, I would try the local listing on autotrader.com or something. Stock Fox-body 5.0's are common, so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on one that right for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info