2 Questions about 66 and GLD

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
I go to the normal Friday night stuff out at U.S. 41 pretty much as often as I can in the summer. It sucks sometimes b/c there may be more than 300 cars. I still can get at least 4 runs in and usually find some decent races. #1 I hear a lot of good things about 66 though. I have been to the track and seen how nice it is. :biggthump I hear that on a Friday night in the summer you can barely get in 2 races though b/c they get so busy. I was just wondering this true. #2 I hear the horror stories about GLD. A couple buddies with camaros want me to go there with them at the end of the month. They are meeting a a bunch of people from a local camaro site there. I would love to beat up on those guys. They might get a surprise when an auto 2VNA mustang runs 12's. :lildevil: Is it worth the trip or is GLD that bad? :dunno:
Sorry so long. Any comments would be greatly apperciated.
Thanks
Kyle

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
GLD is pretty bad. I've been going there for years since it's so close for me. Unfortunately, the bad attitudes of the staff combined with the poor conditions of the track make it almost not worth it.

It depends on how crowded it is. Sometimes there's nobody there and you can get in a lot of runs, other times there's hundreds of ricers clogging up the lanes.

Also, forget about getting any traction. The staging lanes are so slippery and poorly maintained, it's almost like driving in the rain. Even the AWD cars spin like crazy. You can get MUCH better traction on the street than on GLD's track.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
hj16 said:
Last time I went me and my buddy (sharing a helmet) got 13 passes in at 66. 5pm-9:30pm :biggthump

Does 66 still have the Friday night stuff? I've been watching their 04 schedule (waiting for my first time out) and all I'm seeing is a Sunday TNT and some Tuesday night TNTs?

And since we're talking about it, is anyone heading ANYWHERE soon? I'm itching to get on a track for the first time. Just need some good weather, and I'd like to meet up with some people so I don't look like such a noob there. 66 is closest to me, but have boost, will travel.

:biggthump

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
ILLINI-SVT said:
Does 66 still have the Friday night stuff? I've been watching their 04 schedule (waiting for my first time out) and all I'm seeing is a Sunday TNT and some Tuesday night TNTs?

And since we're talking about it, is anyone heading ANYWHERE soon? I'm itching to get on a track for the first time. Just need some good weather, and I'd like to meet up with some people so I don't look like such a noob there. 66 is closest to me, but have boost, will travel.

Yeah same here. I am anxious to try running at the track, but would like to have some people with more experience for support! LOL

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
If you guys can make it to 66 on Tuesday April 20 or Tuesday April 27 I'll go. I've run there several times. The gates open at 4:00 pm. It's better to get there by 3:30 or so so you can be towards the front of the line and tech early. That way you can make several runs before a lot of people start to show up. Tuesdays are less crowded than weekends.

You need to have a valid driver's license, an approved helmet [I think it's Snell 2000 rating at the moment. You can get a helmet at "Winner's Circle" speed shop in Joliet for around $100 and up.], If you run faster than 12.00 you need a roll bar. Their tech guys check to make sure everything is secure in your engine compartment and that you're not leaking any fluids.
They've never asked me about a driveshaft loop, so you're probably ok without one. I always tell them I run low 13s/maybe high 12s. Their tech is somewhat picky. If you are running 11s without a rollbar, you will probably get asked to leave.

After tech, you head over to the parking lot, stake out a spot, and make sure your car is OK and cool it down if you want. I usually make 2 runs or so and then cool down.

Anyone who wants to go, I'm not an expert but I can give you some pointers and answer questions. Let's see if we can get some guys together to go in 2 or 3 weeks. :headbang:

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I would love to meet up with people. I can do a Tuesday night if it's worth running out there, but there's just no way for me to get there early. I work downtown and can't take off early like that (leaving at 5 is actually leaving early). The earliest I could reasonably be down there is 6:30ish.

If you want to set something up, let me know and I'll most likely be in on it unless something special comes up.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I have not been to 66 for running my cars, but I have been there to see the NHRA Drags.... now those were intense!!! GLD... I haven't been there since 93 when I ran my stock 93 14.2 completely stock. Needless to sayI never went back, I didn't like the place.

I would be up for 66 as long as I am in town, however, the 20th is probably bad as I will just be returning from San Juan and may be too burnt to drive my car down the 1/4. If you guys do go that day, maybe I will show with the camera.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I couldn't find a copy of the NHRA rulebook online but here's a link to a quick reference chart. Driveshaft loops ARE required with 13.99 or quicker. I still haven't had a problem at 66 without one, though. I don't have a good answer to whether they will check or not.
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

Surprisingly, this lists the Snell rating as a Snell 90. I thought it was currently Snell 00?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info