Need some computer help -Techsavy TCG Unite!!

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I've been doing some crazy HD video editing a lot more recently but it's not going too well. My computer is too laggy when playing the video, enough so that getting timing down for scenes is usually hit or miss. I can edit Standard Definition just fine, just need some ideas to edit HD video better. Also I play the video files just fine through Media Player and Quicktime, just when I play it through Vegas is when it doesn't work well.

Here's computer specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit version
Asus P5N-E SLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor 2.66 GHz
EVGA eGeForce 8600GT
Corsair Four 1GB DDR2 RAM cards

Using Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

Strangely my processor is overclocked to 3.07 GHz even though I disabled overclocking in the bios. Don't know why. Also can you overclock graphics cards? Pretty sure my graphics card is the weakest link. Cooling isn't an issue for overclocking, I got a lot of fans. Appreciate any help.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
Your video card has nothing to do with video processing unless the software you are using supports this. Im not sure if vegas does or doesn't. Sounds to me like a compatibility issues between a codec, decoder, and/or encoder and vegas. How much CPU is vegas using when you are editing? What formats are you using? Have you tried other software? Personally I have had great experiences with premiere and premiere pro.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Pretty sure I'm close to maxing out. I have CPU meters and they both usually stay around 80-95% when editing. Ram stays around 50-60% too. I would use Premiere but I could never get a copy to work. And I bought a copy of Pinnacle Studio 12, but it doesn't support .mov files and they charge for every additional plugin.

Was it normal in XP?

HD Video skipping frames and lagging? Yes. When I upgraded to 7 I didn't have that problem anymore. I can watch any of my footage shot in 1080p perfectly. But I still have problems editing in 720p video, 1080p is slightly worse.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin
I would start by completely uninstalling and deleting any traces (this includes registry entries and files in the windows system folder) of all codecs and encoder/decoders, including anything coupled with media player software. Then re-install only the codecs for the video format you are editing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info