Guy lives in a storage unit

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

We actually had a guy living in a storage unit when we rebuilt Wheeling.
A little old man, real frail :(
He would wash up at the gas station and everyday when we picked up our bucket trucks & returned he would be sitting on the curb.
The other guys gave him a hard time, I assumed he had some kind of mental issue and left him alone.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Honestly, I dont know if its me getting older, or the fact I always like cramped spaces, I bet if someone made an apartment complex like that, they could make a killing. If I was single Id live in one.

FWIW, when we went to NY, we stayed at a Yotel. The rooms are roughly 170 square feet. Make it a 200 sq foot place with a small stove top and people would live there I bet.

Here is a vid of the Yotel we stayed at.

https://youtu.be/QUjEZI7bWG0

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

Try going to Asia, they have tiny tiny tiny living units, the size of our walk in closets!!!

Living in a box: The desperate workers forced to live in tiny 'coffin' apartments of Tokyo - which still cost up to ÂŁ400 a month to rent
Japanese capital is one of the most crowded cities in the world
'Geki-sema' or share houses are mainly used by young professionals
No windows and enough room for one person and a few possessions

By DANIEL MILLER

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
About 1/3 of my friends live in vans or campers. It's just the way of life here. You can pack up and drive down to yosemite stay for a week & climb then move to the next spot. Or I have two friends that commute an hour to work and during storm days it's easier to stay in the parking lot then driving through feet of snow on icy mountain roads. Or they just stay 3-4 days then drive home at the end of the week.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think it's brilliant. Not the first time I've read about this.

A few things, if you find the right storage unit (like my climate controlled one in Elgin);

1) The circuit in there is meant to run higher amperage things. So this shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not running the microwave oven along with an A/C unit or other things. I run my trickle charger/smart charger and two big 500w halogen lights in mine when I'm there at night. Well the trickle charger is going 24/7.

2) Odor(s). Most storage units have a few inches at the top of each unit that are open, to allow the units to "breathe" and they run across all of them in that "block" So there is ventiliation and circulating air. In the case of mine, being a climate controlled unit, I actually have a heating/cooling vent blowing in right over the car.

3) Taking a piss/shower/etc. Get a Planet Fitness membership for $10/mth. Go there daily/as needed. But my guess is, is that if you're in these levels of dire straights, hygiene may not be your first priority...

4) where you could run in to problems is if your storage facility has a nighttime cut-off. mine for example is 10:30PM to like 5am. So you can't get back in between those hours. If you're in there within those hours already (and I have been cleaning up the car), you can get out, just not back in. So if you have an shitter emergency at midnight... Looks like you'll be sleeping in your car until you can get back in in the morning.

I'm not saying I've thought of this before, but logistically, I don't see it being a problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info