McDonald’s fresh beef burgers - it’s good

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I didn’t put this in the Food Aficionado section because, well, it’s McD’s.

They rolled out their fresh beef (never frozen, seared, seasoned) on the signature craft burgers and quarter-pounders.

I got one at the union station McD’s, which didn’t set it up for success, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t delicious.

The cheese melted into the meat crevasses and it was a little pink inside. Not a hockey puck like before. There was a sear on both sides and I got pops of pepper. It was greasy, juicy and overall a big surprise. The BBQ bacon burger perfectly complimented the juicer meat, and the bacon is surprisingly crispy.

I think it’s the best non-premium fast food burger out there. Wendy’s has really gone to shit recently. The sandwich and two apple slice packs was $6. Epic Burger, Smash Burger, etc still have a tastier product, but this is wildly good for something you can get on every corner.

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

BigJohnson

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2013
Just got McDs the other day. Haven't had non breakfast from there in years. But got the double quarter pounder. And I was surprised when it tasted pretty good. Then noticed it was a little pink in the pink in the center. Didn't know about the new meat at the time.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Back in high school, which was probably before half the population of this board was born, I worked at McD's. Slinging QPC's and McDLT's at the time. Then I'd be back up for "regulars" (regular hamburgers/cheeseburgers) and Big Mac's.

Anyway, The QPC's (and McDLT's) had a separate grill from the "regulars" and BigMac's. As such, they were also equipped with a "Clamshell" (or "Clam" for short), that you would drop on the patties sitting on the grill top, which then cooked the top side also, cutting the time in half. The patties for these are much bigger than the "Regulars"/Big Mac's and as such, in rush times, needed this to keep up with demand.

Point being, to this day, I can tell when a QPC has been cooked under "the Clam". It's much drier (not as much grease), tends to be heavily salted after clam liftage to help "add flavor" from the lost grease and in some cases, may be more "rubbery" in texture.

I made them the best... "On the side" (meaning no clam), letting it marinate in the grease after the timed flip, no searing to smash it back down, and adding a pinch of salt. Then really carmalize the buns in the bun cooker, add extra cheese and pickles... Yum...

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Back in high school, which was probably before half the population of this board was born, I worked at McD's. Slinging QPC's and McDLT's at the time. Then I'd be back up for "regulars" (regular hamburgers/cheeseburgers) and Big Mac's.

Anyway, The QPC's (and McDLT's) had a separate grill from the "regulars" and BigMac's. As such, they were also equipped with a "Clamshell" (or "Clam" for short), that you would drop on the patties sitting on the grill top, which then cooked the top side also, cutting the time in half. The patties for these are much bigger than the "Regulars"/Big Mac's and as such, in rush times, needed this to keep up with demand.

Point being, to this day, I can tell when a QPC has been cooked under "the Clam". It's much drier (not as much grease), tends to be heavily salted after clam liftage to help "add flavor" from the lost grease and in some cases, may be more "rubbery" in texture.

I made them the best... "On the side" (meaning no clam), letting it marinate in the grease after the timed flip, no searing to smash it back down, and adding a pinch of salt. Then really carmalize the buns in the bun cooker, add extra cheese and pickles... Yum...

I worked at McD's too in high school. During the age of Arch Deluxes and fajitas. I always fancied myself a chicken nugget sandwich with cheese and Mac sauce when it was slow.

I do like Wendy's burgers over McD's but after this post, I may have to give it a chance. My go-to lately has been the garlic white cheddar crispy chicken sandwich with extra cheese.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
How did you keep all the nuggets in the bun? Wouldn't they pop out as you tried to eat it?

I think the Arch deluxe's also used the 1/4 patties. So they would've been done on the QPC grill.

The BIG thing that McD's rolled out when I was there... The McRib. We'd cook those on another flat top grill (also separate to obviously keep from cross contamination), then put them in a vat of the BBQ sauce untill needed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info