Anyone been to the Dominican Republic

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
been there 3x...LaRomana & Punta Cana...did many exursions in town...I had NO problems...it was interesting on how they live....lots of motorcycle taxi's
Presidente will be the beer,your entertainment will be spoken in many different languages...

You will land in Punta,interesting Airport...bring sunblock & Benadryl,the Sun is brutal..got bit by sand fleas

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
been there 3x...LaRomana & Punta Cana...did many exursions in town...I had NO problems...it was interesting on how they live....lots of motorcycle taxi's
Presidente will be the beer,your entertainment will be spoken in many different languages...

You will land in Punta,interesting Airport...bring sunblock & Benadryl,the Sun is brutal..got bit by sand fleas
Good to know. I'm pretty sure they have like 30 people going down too, so that should make it easy enough to go places with a group as well

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Been there once and would only go back if it was an incredibly good deal. The majority of the Dominican people are very nice. The Haitians on the other hand not so much, and there is A LOT of Haitians there. We always travel with a large crew and everywhere we go we like to leave the resort at night and go party in town. I do not recommend that in DR. We left a few times during the day on our own and it was pretty sketchy. Now if your on a guided excursion your good. I highly recommend the booze cruise that includes snorkeling, swimming with both sharks and stingrays. Iirc it’s only like $50 per person and is an awesome excursion, in fact we did it twice, lol. If you like to fish, I would also recommend a deep sea fishing excursion. You can bring booze and other party items with you if you enjoy those other things, lol. The weed is garbage if that’s something you do, bring your own. Also iirc they charge you $10 per person to get in the country when you go thru customs, lol.

Nccstud

Daddy no likey
TCG Premium
Aug 20, 2012
Belvidere
Been there once and would only go back if it was an incredibly good deal. The majority of the Dominican people are very nice. The Haitians on the other hand not so much, and there is A LOT of Haitians there. We always travel with a large crew and everywhere we go we like to leave the resort at night and go party in town. I do not recommend that in DR. We left a few times during the day on our own and it was pretty sketchy. Now if your on a guided excursion your good. I highly recommend the booze cruise that includes snorkeling, swimming with both sharks and stingrays. Iirc it’s only like $50 per person and is an awesome excursion, in fact we did it twice, lol. If you like to fish, I would also recommend a deep sea fishing excursion. You can bring booze and other party items with you if you enjoy those other things, lol. The weed is garbage if that’s something you do, bring your own. Also iirc they charge you $10 per person to get in the country when you go thru customs, lol.

Thanks. That's good info. Went deep sea fishing in Bahamas for my bachelor party down there and want to do the same for my buddy. Did you do it in DR? If so, who did you use?

stock-t-bird

THORNTON QUARRY
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2008
Thornton Quarry
DO NOT DRINK ANY WATER..the ice machines "should be filtered",usually anytime you visit an Island the water is horrible...they should have bottled water in your room

girl I went with,accidently did the shower water (we all do it)..didnt see her for 2-days

all in all,you will hear mixed reviews from any vaca..i think u will enjoy it..just remember some excursions are all day.Hotel photographer will ride along & take some great pics (which u will pay for)it was worth it

Also I would consider a pre-tan before you go & bring a Safari/or any hat...also we brought matchboxes/lil cars for our maid(they all have kids)....you have no idea how far that went...

I did a lot of research before I went...baseball is huge too out there,trust me

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I went for my honeymoon. Had a great time, but we didn’t do any excursions. A friend of ours is a travel agent and set everything up for us. She told us before hand that this was not the place to go to go on excursions. So we picked a nice resort and just did things there. Everyone that went on excursions seemed pretty disappointed. Now, this was 13 years ago and there was a hurricane the week before we were there so not everything was as it should be. There was a fair amount of damage and what looked nice before didn’t, so things may have changed.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
DO NOT DRINK ANY WATER..the ice machines "should be filtered",usually anytime you visit an Island the water is horrible...they should have bottled water in your room

girl I went with,accidently did the shower water (we all do it)..didnt see her for 2-days

all in all,you will hear mixed reviews from any vaca..i think u will enjoy it..just remember some excursions are all day.Hotel photographer will ride along & take some great pics (which u will pay for)it was worth it

Also I would consider a pre-tan before you go & bring a Safari/or any hat...also we brought matchboxes/lil cars for our maid(they all have kids)....you have no idea how far that went...

I did a lot of research before I went...baseball is huge too out there,trust me
All very good points, definitely go fake and bake to get a base tan.
The sun there is hotter than shit and you will burn easily. We always fake and bake prior to vacation just for a base tan and we very rarely burn.
Yes baseball is huge, thats one thing we did during the day, we went and caught 2 baseball games in some town, dont recall the name. But was about 90 minutes away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info