Flu Shots

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I’ve had the shot and the modified live virus nasal mist in prior years. When I got the nose mist I went home and slept for 14 hours :rofl:. I don’t get them anymore because like others said, I still got the flu when I had the shot. I haven’t had the shot or the flu since 2010 or 2011. I just don’t believe in having things injected in my body to prevent an illness that won’t kill me personally. I understand the “hive immunity” concept or whatever that’s called but it’s just not worth it to me.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am required to get one every year. I have mixed feelings about them. I have not had the flu in a very long time, so I feel I have either been really lucky or they have some effect. Most people mistake the flu virus and the common cold virus as well. The flu is pretty intense and can most definitely be life threatening depending on what flu virus you get. A hand full of years ago I watched four 30 year old women die from a pretty heavy strain of the flu virus, so any prevention is worth it IMO.

Side effects from the vaccine are pretty mild for the most part but some people have pretty bad reactions (rare). In general it is advisable to get a vaccine especially if you work in a field that requires you to be exposed to a lot of different people.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
It is also good to point out that there are a lot of different flu viruses. CDC decides which ones will be the most harmful and/or abundant then includes those strains in the vaccine for that year. The vaccine itself does not protect from all flu strains. It is a hit or miss kind of situation and the CDC has definitely missed some important strains in the past for that year.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
If I’m being completely honest, and exposing my inner tin foil hat... another concern I have is that if some evil force wanted to infect a massive part of the population with some sort of virus or something, flu shots would be the perfect route.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info