Comcast just raised my Internet speed - for free

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I just got an e-mail from Comcast stating that they're raising my Internet speed from 25 Mbps to 60 Mbps at no extra charge.

Before I reset my modem to get the new speed, I did a test which topped out at 30 Mbps. After the reset, I got 71 Mbps. Not too shabby.

And here I was about to dump Comcast for some other service, partly due to the extremely high cost of their Internet connection which was only 25 - 30 Mbps. Now at 71 Mbps it might actually worth it.

Still, they need to do something about the outrageous cost of their TV service.

Anyone else get their speed bumped?

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
On Wednesday, they sent an email saying my modem was obsolete and that they'd be sending a new one. The new one came yesterday. Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, but I was paying for 25 mbps. It didn't mention an exact increase in speed, just that there would be one when the new modem was hooked up.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Those Fuckers called me an hour ago trying to sell me on doubling my bill. I told her I'm paying for 25mbs and it never hits the mark. I need to call back and ask for my free internet upgrade!

4ad80263e04d49c6205f53b4b5df7f24.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for posting this. You got me to look at the Comcast pricing for the Extreme 300 tier over my current Extreme 150 their.

The price difference is only $10 now, so the $10 is worth it as it gives me about an additional 8Mbit/s upload speed which makes Plex run much smoother and allows for streaming quality near full bluray + multi-channel audio.

I used to top out around 22-24mbit/s, but now I top 30Mbits solidly.

I'm don't really notice the download speed difference. For most things there isn't any difference between 170Mbits down, and 360Mbits down.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Thanks for posting this. You got me to look at the Comcast pricing for the Extreme 300 tier over my current Extreme 150 their.

The price difference is only $10 now, so the $10 is worth it as it gives me about an additional 8Mbit/s upload speed which makes Plex run much smoother and allows for streaming quality near full bluray + multi-channel audio.

I used to top out around 22-24mbit/s, but now I top 30Mbits solidly.

I'm don't really notice the download speed difference. For most things there isn't any difference between 170Mbits down, and 360Mbits down.
You don't have Fiber in your area?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/building-fast-com-4857fe0f8adb

On our company blog in May, we introduced fast.com, our new internet speed test. The idea behind fast.com is to provide a quick and simple way for any internet user to test their current internet speed, whether they are a Netflix member or not. Since fast.com was released, millions of internet users around the world have run the test. We have seen a lot of interest in the site and questions about how it works. This blog will give a high-level overview of how we handled some of the challenges inherent with measuring internet speeds and the technology behind fast.com.
But first, some news — we are happy to announce a new FAST mobile app, available now for Android or Apple mobile devices. Get the free app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
No. :crying:
Dang. I would have figured it'd be in your subdivision as well since it's not an old area. It may be possible that they have it in the area but are awaiting more development (of houses). Fiber was in my area but not activated. Then one day they decided to turn it on and went door to door (despite no solicitation in the neighborhood) but I jumped on as soon as he said fiber and it was the same price I was currently paying for my (at then) service. Was a no brainer.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, I'm getting around 115 MBPS, too. I think Comcast must have improved their communications with their boxes. Must not have cost them anything since they're giving the higher speeds away. More likely, they couldn't figure out a way to separate the new higher speed from customers who might not be willing to pay more for it so they gave it to everyone who has BLAST or whatever they call it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info