Painting breaks sales record. By a lot!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Painting sells for $450,000,000. That is insane. Especially since it sold for like $60 not that long ago... :eek:

Rare Leonardo da Vinci painting sells for a record $450 million - CNN Style

Leeonardo da Vinci's "Salvator Mundi" has become the most expensive artwork to ever sell at auction, going for $450.3 million at Christie's in New York. Dating back to around 1500, the rare painting is one of fewer than 20 authenticated works by the Italian in existence.

Original estimates had predicted bids of over $100 million for the piece. But the new record was set after approximately 20 minutes of telephone bidding, far surpassing the previous auction record held by Picasso's "Les Femmes d'Alger," which sold for $179.4 million in 2015.

Although lacking the detail and clarity of the "Mona Lisa" -- which was created in approximately the same period -- "Salvator Mundi" attracted crowds of visitors during pre-auction viewings in London, Hong Kong and San Francisco. It depicts Jesus Christ in Renaissance clothing, one hand raised in blessing and the other holding a crystal orb.
First commissioned by Louis XII of France, the 26 inch tall by 18 inch wide oil painting was later owned by England's Charles I. But the artwork had been presumed lost since the late 18th century.

When "Salvator Mundi" reappeared at auction in 1958, it was dismissed as a copy and sold for ÂŁ45 ($59). Acquired by a group of art dealers for less than $10,000 in 2005, the painting -- which was in poor condition and had been heavily overpainted -- was painstakingly restored and subsequently authenticated.

The record-breaking price tag will come as a relief to previous owner Dmitry Rybolovlev, a Russian businessman, who bought the painting for $127.5 milion in 2013.
"Salvator Mundi" is set to be the biggest lot at this year's fall auction season, during which Christie's and Sotheby's can expect to achieve total sales of more than $1 billion.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I think there are only like 20 davinci paintings that exist and I’d imagine most are in museums. Not the subject matter I’d want but if you had the throw away money to own something by one of the greatest minds, you’re telling me you wouldn’t buy it?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I don't get the crazy prices people pay for art. Most 'art' I don't get or think is cool anyways. I look at a Jackson Pollok painting and I think it isn't much there. Looks like paint was thrown on a canvas. Maybe there is way more to it. Brush strokes and color composition and so on. So it is hard for me to justify the money that stuff sells for.

If I had money to buy stuff like that, I could see paying for other things. I think the Codex Leicester would be awesome to own. I think that speaks a lot more about the man versus a painting of a subject, or self-portrait(?) (Mona Lisa type painting).

And the article said 20 authenticated paintings of his exist. Image what bargains are out there that are not authenticated. I mean even this painting wasn't authenticated and sold for $60 a few decades ago.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It’s hitlers fault.

Ya, I'm not all about art, but I'm not for destroying it either. Shitbags.

$60.00 in 1958 had the same buying power as $510.07 in 2017

but god damn at $450.3 million

That is the other thing that gets me. Forgery is HUGE because of the money people pay for original copies. Some are done so well only someone who has extensive first-hand knowledge of the real painting would be able to tell the fake. So when this painting was considered a fake, or copy, it sold cheap. But how can someone really authenticate a painting that is hundreds of years old with so few other works to match up against. It is crazy to think works could be out there that are the real deal but can't be verified and therefore not as valuble.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
$450,000,000 for this....

e11b55232b6ab604d814db14cee5d457.jpg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Yes, it is considered the male version of this. Arguably the most famous painting ever?

687px-Mona_Lisa%2C_by_Leonardo_da_Vinci%2C_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg
It's ridiculous to even try to see this thing. It's in The Louvre, which is literally a Palace, that is filled with thousands of the best paintings and sculptures in the world. And everyone makes a B-line for the Mona Lisa. It's this tiny picture in the middle of a giant room. When I was there, there were easily 200 people clustered around trying to get a picture of it. And I'm sure that's how it is all day everyday.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info