Need Opinion: Ryobi Impact Wrench P261

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/18v-one-plus-3-speed-in-impact-wrench

So I needed an impact wrench for around the garage automotive type of stuff. Removing lugs, breaking loose a stubborn bolt here and there, etc. I already had the Ryobi One+ system and it's fairly highly rated, so I figured the impact wrench would be a good addition. The unit barely can break loose lug nuts tightened to ~100 ft lbs (the unit is supposedly rated for 300 ft lbs) and has yet to break loose any bolts that I've attempted to break loose aside from lugs. A recent project to install a hitch ended with me ditching the impact, and going to a 1/2 breaker bar and then breaking the bolt.

At this point, it's basically ONLY useful for taking off lug nuts, and putting them on before torquing them, which is to say, not super useful. After the last escapade, I figured something may be wrong or it's just a defective unit, so I opened a ticket with Ryobi. I mentioned the issues above and noted that I would use fully charged batteries...here are there responses...

The impact is not designed to remove lug nuts. The reverse torque is less than forward torque.

Best regards,
XXXXXXX
One World Technologies, Inc.

Then asked what IS the reverse torque rating (it is listed as a wrench afterall...)

There is not a revers (sic) torque rating available. The forward is the torque listed in the manual. The unit is not designed to remove lug nuts, once they are on and the tire spins during driving they can get a little tighter and over time can get rusty and the unit may or may not remove the lug nut die (sic) to those variables.

What do I do from here? It was bought from Amazon, and I'm sure it's passed the return period for them. I'm at a loss.

EDIT: Also, obviously I wasn't expecting airtool type of power...

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
If a warranty is important for you, then sure.

I don't give a fuck about warranties :rofl:

I mean, I usually don't either...but I'm not wrenching daily or even weekly for that matter, so it could go a month before using again...and a 90 day warranty may hose me in the end if it's a defective unit, which is common needless to say, in other HF tools.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info