SpaceX: Thats not an explosion.....

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That video is awesome!

If you could blow shit up and have government (taxpayers) reimburse you, you'd have a sense of humor too. :ming:

The dude put everything he had, billions, in to spacex and tesla before ever securing a government contract. Now he sends things to space for a fraction of what it would cost taxpayers otherwise.

It's incredibly rare for someone to be a genius, incredibly driven, and risk-tolerant to the point that he'd go from billionaire to near bankruptcy just to do what he thinks needs to be done.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
That video is awesome!

The dude put everything he had, billions, in to spacex and tesla before ever securing a government contract. Now he sends things to space for a fraction of what it would cost taxpayers otherwise.

It's incredibly rare for someone to be a genius, incredibly driven, and risk-tolerant to the point that he'd go from billionaire to near bankruptcy just to do what he thinks needs to be done.

Im not knockin it, he has done some incredible things in many different industries. A lot of people forget he is the founder of what is now Paypal too. Rockets, cars, batteries, the IT industry.... But a ton of that now is subsidized by the government and many mom and pop outfits and the taxpayer get screwed in the long-run, especially with Tesla, which is a sinking ship. I would respect the guy a whole lot more if billions of public funds weren't going into all of those outfits.

You think you or I would ever see government help for our business?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If you could blow shit up and have government (taxpayers) reimburse you, you'd have a sense of humor too. :ming:

Im not knockin it, he has done some incredible things in many different industries. A lot of people forget he is the founder of what is now Paypal too. Rockets, cars, batteries, the IT industry.... But a ton of that now is subsidized by the government and many mom and pop outfits and the taxpayer get screwed in the long-run, especially with Tesla, which is a sinking ship. I would respect the guy a whole lot more if billions of public funds weren't going into all of those outfits.

You think you or I would ever see government help for our business?

I don't understand why you continue to proudly embrace your own ignorance on subjects like this. First it's been Tesla and you've hopped around from post to post telling everyone how they live off the taxpayer's dime and yet when pushed to back your statements you've turned ghost, several times now. Just up and vanish. You don't even attempt to support your position.

Now you start up on Space X and again with a complete misunderstanding of the facts but the facts are so easy to come by that I suspect it's not a complete misunderstanding: it's complete indifference. For whatever reason you've determined Elon Musk = bad. So your conclusions are drawn and you work backwards from there. I could sit here and type out of a long diatribe about how and why you're wrong but why bother? You disappear the moment you're challenged. Instead I would invite you to research something really basic: Go find out how much Space X is undercutting the competition in government funded launches. It's more than half. And Space X was funded almost solely by Elon's own fortune. It almost bankrupted him.

I can't for the life of me fathom what benefit you get from continuing to share easily refutable, factually incorrect information about Tesla and Space X. Did Elon kill your puppy?

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Never once said i disliked Musk either, on the contrary, i said he's done some innovative things, just like i said a few posts up.

But he is a business man, worth billions, continuing to suck off the taxpayer teet to fuel companies that make shit most people have no desire for. Some of those companies failing, like Tesla, who has rarely turned a profit in 10+ years of existence. Yet continue to get taxpayer money pumped into them.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I can't even. I thought when we reached the point where you actually had a reply that you'd do better than this. Instead you compare me to a California liberal and confuse not being profitable for failing. By that metric, Amazon has been "failing" for most of their 20 year existence. There is a notable difference between a failing company and a company that is not making any money because they are building out for growth. Tesla certainly does have the potential to be a failing company should they not execute their plan properly but the company as it exists right now is certainly not failing.

And making shit people have no desire for? The Model S is probably the most sought after car in modern history second only to the Model 3 which I might add had hundreds of thousands of paid reservations before people even saw a finished product.

Space X has made cargo transport to space markedly cheaper than ever before and continued build-out of the Falcon heavy setup is going to lower the price of larger payload as well.

Likewise, Musk's net worth is tied largely to his Tesla stock, of which he generally buys when there's an offering and generally only sells to cover tax liabilities. He doesn't determine the price of Tesla stock; the open market does. He's on record, twice recently, as saying that Tesla's stock price is higher than they have any reasonable expectation for it to be. But again, that's a function of the free market, a free market that indirectly determines Musk's net worth on paper. You act as if he's got billions sitting in the bank and he's rubbing his hands together like Mr Burns. Dude was almost financially ruined, first by Space X and then by Tesla. In both cases he put personal money in and everything he had on the line, ready to go down with each respective ship. Of all the billionaires in the world, Musk is probably one of the only ones that has demonstrated time and time again that he gives zero fucks (personally) about the money.

The only thing I ask is that you play fair. If you want to call Tesla a failing company, qualify that statement. Tell us why. So far the only thing you've demonstrated is that you don't understand the difference between a company that isn't yet turning a profit and a company that is failing but that lack of understanding is on you.

Likewise with Space X. If you want to dislike them, great but make objective statements. You don't like that they are getting our tax dollars but fail to understand that they're actually saving the tax payer millions of dollars (sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars) per launch. And all of that is really easily verifiable because it's all public record.

There's not much criticism that can be hurled at Space X. There's a LOT that can be thrown at Tesla, but none of it is anything you've cited so far. Dislike them all you want but form your opinion on real facts. You're starting at a conclusion and working your way back.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
And yes, I'm passionate about this. I'm passionate about most opinions I see about any subject that are based on false information or a misunderstanding of data, especially when the false information is so easily refuted. All you have to want is a desire to find the truth; not a desire support your preconceived notions.

The fact that it's Tesla/ Space X/ Musk is a Mike K trigger though. I've extensively researched/ followed these companies over the years and I feel I'm pretty critical of them where it applies. So it rustles my jimmies when people regurgitate the same old tripe that's been discredited ad nauseam.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info