GTI Owners, step inside.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Hey,

So most recently I got promoted at work and that will cause a longer commute. I was toying with the idea of getting a brand new daily in general and thought the GTI would be a great addition (I know mook got one).

Anyway, what are your impressions of the 16/17 models. What options did you get and what do you like/dislike about the car.

Are there any features that you would consider must haves?

any imput would rock.

thanks!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Love mine so far. So much that I'm actively keeping an eye out for a R. Thats meant to be a good thing.

Car has plenty of power for daily use and is a blast to drive. If you plan on doing ANYTHING power wise to it, get the DSG. The clutch in these cars is about as strong as wet piece of toilet paper.

If you plan on not touching it, the manual is smoother, engaging and a blast.

The 16/17s come with car play and android auto hooksups. Totally worth it.

Mine is a SE and [MENTION=102]DanJoy[/MENTION] would have to enlighten me on the differences between mine and a autobahn edition.

I wish I had auto climate....after saying I would never use it, I definitely would :rofl:

In all honesty, I have zero complains about this car so far.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I have a 6MT Autobahn 2016. I went in for an oil change on my MK6 and saw they had the car listed for $6K under sticker on their site. 5 hours later I bought a car. Difference between the SE and Autobahn are that the Autobahn has navigation (kind of junk and useless when you have apple car play/android auto), 12 way power drivers seat (nice to have), and auto climate control (I don't really use it because it decides what vents to use). Had they not had my car listed so low I would have bought an SE.

On a MK7 you really just want the performance pack which gives you an electronically controlled limited slip diff, the Golf R brakes, and 10 extra hp for what that's worth. Also I highly recommend the lighting package as the adaptive bi xenon headlights are really nice. I think think the SE comes with the Fender audio which is pretty good for a stock system. The spare tire has a subwoofer in it.

Overall I love the car. It was at the dealer since Saturday for a water leak in my drivers rear door that ended up being a door seal that wasn't fully seated. I was in a mid trim level 17 Tiguan loaner with the auto transmission and it was boring as fuck, got 20mpg, and was only slightly larger than the GTI. I kind of hated it for a car that stickers for the same as mine did. Was really happy to have my car back today. I average 27.8mpg over the life of the car which isn't bad considering work is less than 3 miles from home and I usually buy gas once every 3 weeks or so.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Hey,

So most recently I got promoted at work and that will cause a longer commute. I was toying with the idea of getting a brand new daily in general and thought the GTI would be a great addition (I know mook got one).

Anyway, what are your impressions of the 16/17 models. What options did you get and what do you like/dislike about the car.

Are there any features that you would consider must haves?

any imput would rock.

thanks!

Not sure what "longer commute" means for you but I average a 3 - 4 hrs commute per day. That said, comfortable seats and ride quality are important. Also, if you will be in a lot of stop n go traffic then auto transmission may be a better route.

Mpgs, safety, size / presence on the road, etc. depends on how much you care about each of these.

But definitely consider the vehicle with the best seats / ride quality that works for you. If that's the Autobahn version, there you go.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I had the 2013 MK6 and absolutely loved the car. Even with out the benefits of the newer model. The fit and finish, the ride, and everything for that matter. Also like others have said modding is an easy addiction, when little things make such a difference. Like a short throw shifter and a tune.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I'm not positive and would have to check on [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]'s car, but I'm pretty sure the SE trim drivers seat has all of the same adjustment abilities. The Autobahn trim just has the seat up and down, and forward and back as power options. My MK6 had manual lever front and back, and some weird pump action up and down adjustment. The only time I change my seat adjustments is when I go to the dealer and one of their little porters mess with it.

Auto climate is the only option that I would say is worth it for the Autobahn trim if it's something you would like. I think I just got used to manually doing everything on my MK6 that I don't utilize any of the auto options. I don't even use the auto headlight feature since the MK6 didn't have that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info