Hey Cat Dads, what nail clippers do you use?

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
We just use the premium ones you can buy at pet smart. We just rotate them frequently (3x a yr or so) so as to ensure they are sharp.

Wait, you can actually clip a cats nails?! Never thought those furry bastards would let you do that. Dogs, sure I do those all the time but I'd like to keep my eye lids unscathed.

Yes, and its practically necessary for indoor cats. Long nails can be quite uncomfortable for kitties. To be sure it's a two person job for us, but not too difficult. Our younger one doesn't even flinch or fuss as we have been clipping her since she was a kitten.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
not a cat dad but maybe this? :rofl:

41mTJz6xgnL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VP61N8/?tag=tcg21-20

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I use ones that look like this. Usually replace twice a year or so.

Cats are easily "trained" to let you cut their claws but needs to be done when young. Whenever they're laying on you, just rub their paws. Now as 7 year old adult cats I can clip their nails while they chill out on my lap or pick them up and cut them solo.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora

That's what you want, ones that look like scissors, and not the guillotine type. The closed loop guillotine type trimmers can jam up when cutting the nail and then if the cat freaks out it can rip their nail out. The smaller cat specific ones are easier to use and maneuver with, but I've been using larger dog trimmers on my cat for a few years and they work fine. Probably easier to use with big hands anyways instead of just having two fingers on them. Cat nails don't wear down the blades as fast as dog nails do. I haven't worked at the vet since 2008 and am still using the same set of trimmers that I bought when I worked there. I should probably get them sharpened.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
That's what you want, ones that look like scissors, and not the guillotine type. The closed loop guillotine type trimmers can jam up when cutting the nail and then if the cat freaks out it can rip their nail out. The smaller cat specific ones are easier to use and maneuver with, but I've been using larger dog trimmers on my cat for a few years and they work fine. Probably easier to use with big hands anyways instead of just having two fingers on them. Cat nails don't wear down the blades as fast as dog nails do. I haven't worked at the vet since 2008 and am still using the same set of trimmers that I bought when I worked there. I should probably get them sharpened.

my fat cat got caught up in a jewel bag once. then he started freaking the fuck out when he couldn't get out. i was coming down the stairs and he was just running around through the kitchen and dining room around the whole center of the house flipping his shit. it was kind of funny until a few seconds later he started pissing himself. my brother caught him and freed him. then we noticed the thin line of wee all around the circle. he also tore out some of his claws and his paws were a bloody mess.

his fat ass is fine today, but he dun like them jewel bags. fuck those

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Have any of you ever tried those nail covers for them? We always had declawed cats growing up so I've never had to worry about clipping a cats nails. I think you still need to trim them but then they dont scratch the shit out of stuff with the covers on them.

The parents are likely done with cats after the final two pass, but I would look into those covers too if I were to ever get a cat.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
my fat cat got caught up in a jewel bag once. then he started freaking the fuck out when he couldn't get out. i was coming down the stairs and he was just running around through the kitchen and dining room around the whole center of the house flipping his shit. it was kind of funny until a few seconds later he started pissing himself. my brother caught him and freed him. then we noticed the thin line of wee all around the circle. he also tore out some of his claws and his paws were a bloody mess.

his fat ass is fine today, but he dun like them jewel bags. fuck those

Ours lost one last year and we didn't even notice until we went to trim them. He also got stuck in a plastic bag once and completely avoids them now.

20052f8d79f4503c37b75f240eebfe7b.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info