Garage Torpedo Heaters

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Propane works well, better than kerosene as the smell and fumes are less. There is still some smell, you will need to vent the garage, and they do seem to create a ton of moisture.

Best temporary setup was at a buddies garage. He had a 220V electric heater to warm the air a bit, and dish style heater that kept out hands and the part of the car we were working on warm. Quiet, no fumes, no need to crack a door or window.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Anyone have experience with the propane torpedo heaters say 60k btu for instance. Would that be enough to heat a 2 car garage warm enough to work on a car in just a sweater in 30° f Temps outside?

I've always been around the karosine torpedoes and they kicked ass. But the propane ones are a little cheaper it seems.

Advices?

I have a 20/40/60k propane one (low/medium/high) with a 35 gallon tank.

It gets my 2 car down to T-shirt comfort levels pretty quick at max even when it's around 30 out.

My garage and garage door are insulated however.

Typically what I do is work in a shirt in sweater at full blast, when it's comfortable I drop it to low ditch my sweater and just modulate from there.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Propane works well, better than kerosene as the smell and fumes are less. There is still some smell, you will need to vent the garage, and they do seem to create a ton of moisture.

Best temporary setup was at a buddies garage. He had a 220V electric heater to warm the air a bit, and dish style heater that kept out hands and the part of the car we were working on warm. Quiet, no fumes, no need to crack a door or window.
I have a 240v ceiling mounted heater. Takes my garage from 30* to 65* in about an hour if that. Quicker when I turn on the regular space heater as well. I don't have to crack open the garage door, but I also don't run it 24/7.

Unitsn4

Regular
Mar 30, 2015
I have a very drafty non insulated garage with an older 40,000 but propane heater. A couple of weeks ago when it was windy and in the 20's it went from 20 inside to about 55 in 2 hours tops.

I actually just picked up a new more powerful one so the old when is getting retired.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info