Gutter covers?

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Anyone have any they recommend and even better yet a guy they recommend?
I have a lot of trees, not a huge fan of heights so me getting on the roof to clean the shit isn't very likely.
I've talked to a few people but quotes are ridiculous. One guy wanted $1600 and other guy wanted $4 a foot! I can buy cheap ones for $1 for 3+ feet. I can't justify paying someone $4 a foot to roll something on and make $1600 in 6 hours of work with $100 or less in material.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Cut down some trees :dunno:

I have one nightmare tree in my backyard, no idea what to do about it just yet to be honest, going to pay someone to deal with my gutters ASAP, hopefully this week.

lol i want to but that won't help much. We have a federally protected wetland in our backyard so can't touch it unless it's a weed.

Wish someone on this site did gutters. We can do a group buy!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I have the original Gutter Caps and they are one of the best investments I've ever made to my house. I have a shit load of trees in my yard and I've had to clean the gutters every week, spring, summer and fall before I installed these things.

After putting the Gutter Caps on I haven't needed to clean the gutters since (obviously). No more climbing on the roof every weekend, no more scooping out leaves and gunk, no more clogged downspouts, no more overflowing gutters, no more water getting in to the basement due to overflowing gutters.

They're not cheap, but worth it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I about had a stroke when I saw how much it cost to have new gutters and downspouts installed on my house along with gutter guards....

Although this year I cleaned them out after taking the trees out of my yard and there was almost nothing to remove....

Still want to replace the gutters once I get the roof refinished though just because some assclown thought the best place for a seam was right above the front door. :fu:

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I have 3 large locus trees (trees with millions of those tiny leaves) and the gutter mesh covers on there when I bought the house were more of an issue than anything.

Took them off and hire a guy to clean them out 2 times a year. Also, I've been recommended to get a bigger downspout size to help move the leaves out of the gutters. Might try that next year...

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I have 3 large locus trees (trees with millions of those tiny leaves) and the gutter mesh covers on there when I bought the house were more of an issue than anything.

Took them off and hire a guy to clean them out 2 times a year. Also, I've been recommended to get a bigger downspout size to help move the leaves out of the gutters. Might try that next year...

I had some cheapo plastic gutter guards that the previous owners put up. I removed them and just get up on the first story roof with a leaf blower and in 5 minutes the gutters are clean. I pay someone to do the second story gutters as I am not a big fan of heights.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Black-Decker-Trowel.jpg

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
My house has the "swiss cheese" covers that also have a screen behind them. I've been in the house 3 years with no gutter cleaning or issues at all and I have a few trees over the house. I got similar swiss cheese type covers for [MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION]'s house when they were on sale at Menards for $1 each or something, but quickly realized the helicopters do manage to get stuck in the holes. I've been meaning to go buy some mesh/screen to attach to the underside, but we haven't yet.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
My house has the "swiss cheese" covers that also have a screen behind them. I've been in the house 3 years with no gutter cleaning or issues at all and I have a few trees over the house. I got similar swiss cheese type covers for [MENTION=750]RICH17[/MENTION]'s house when they were on sale at Menards for $1 each or something, but quickly realized the helicopters do manage to get stuck in the holes. I've been meaning to go buy some mesh/screen to attach to the underside, but we haven't yet.

Winter project

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
If you have maple trees DO NOT GET THOSE MESH COVERS

The Helicopter seed things manage to stick straight up in the holes. It is a huge PITA to get those things out. You basically need to remove each section of cover and shake it out over the yard waste can/bag.

I'll never forget the first time that happened after I installed them for my dad. Sitting up on the roof thinking, hmm...these holes look just big enough for those helicopter things. Few months later? Our gutters looked like a helicopter forest :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info