Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
So they posted this article.

Working class white men make less than they did in 1996

Working class white men have lower incomes than they did in 1996 - Oct. 5, 2016

The first line is :
No wonder they are frustrated.

Followed by this :
Working class white men saw their income drop 9% between 1996 and 2014, according to a new report from Sentier Research. This group, who Sentier defines as having only a high school diploma, earned only $36,787, on average, in 2014, down from $40,362 in 1996.
Meanwhile, college educated white men saw their income soar nearly 23% over the same period, from $77,209 to $94,601.

HMMMMMM so it looks more like businesses would rather pay for someone with intelligence and motivation to learn more then someone who just gets out of high school and expects to make bank.

then they have this image.....created obviously in mspaint...college grads with jobs are not considered working class? guess not.

161005123117-white-male-income-changes-780x439.jpg

OH REALLY!?!?! NO SHIT! BUSINESSES PAY MORE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE!?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

If you become stagnant you become less valuable in the workplace is the lesson learned here folks, not "the working class make less". They make less because they are less valuable and most likely can be replaced by machines in the near future.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
"This group, who Sentier defines as having only a high school diploma"

stupid already, should define and track particular jobs

"Meanwhile, college educated white men saw their income soar nearly 23% over the same period, from $77,209 to $94,601."

ignores the 'go to college or you're a loser' message that has been on repeat for decades, for the benefit of 'take out huge loans and give us all the money' education industrial complex. these days college degrees are "required" simply because they are some prevalent, even if jobs really need nothing at all to do with them.

you probably come up with similar stats by having no change in income at all for the jobs, but jobs simply migrating from no college degree required to college degree required. ie. a person didn't need a college degree for customer service in 1990 but today like 80% have one. even if the pay rose at the exact same rate as everything else, if this was a higher non-degree paying job before, and is a degree paying one now, all that has happened is the accounting bucket they put it in in their study moved. it doesn't mean plumbers didn't have a worse/same/better rise in pay though.

shitty study is shitty

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Stupid article.

However, someone with a degree doesn't mean they are knowledgeable. In my industry, Experience>Degree W/O experience all day, every day.

I've personally met less intelligent people with degrees over those without. A degree is some form accomplishment, it is not an automatic pass for a great paying career right off the bat. Some people are fortunate to have gone to college. I was not as I've been working since I was 15 years of age non stop, family was too poor as I supported them and life happened (Marriage, house, demanding job, etc.)

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
Stupid article.

However, someone with a degree doesn't mean they are knowledgeable. In my industry, Experience>Degree W/O experience all day, every day.

I've personally met less intelligent people with degrees over those without. A degree is some form accomplishment, it is not an automatic pass for a great paying career right off the bat. Some people are fortunate to have gone to college. I was not as I've been working since I was 15 years of age non stop, family was too poor as I supported them and life happened (Marriage, house, demanding job, etc.)

While I agree in theory....now adays you need a degree just to a chance at getting into a place....

Just saying from my experience..

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
I am actually going through this. I don't have a degree and I am trying to find another job in the workforce. Corporations are consolidating and buying each other then eliminating jobs. Its the corporate plan, go young and get rid of the stagnant and unknowledgeable that posses tons of experience. That's why drop in pay.

Sales people are a dime a dozen and I am in sales...ugh.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
At least, with a sales job, you are a professional and can sell anything, anywhere. I have a dozen real estate offices try to hire me every week. I asked for and received a raise in commission from my company last month because they don't want to lose me. I have three scheduled closings this month which comes out to just under $9K in commissions. If I can do that one month, I can do it every month. That's college level pay.

On the negative side, one is progressing, one is iffy and the third is a short sale in limbo until the lender makes a decision on whether to accept our counter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info