USA Today can't read a map or spell correctly

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
:bowrofl:

And this is a "reputable" news agency...

LQctwmR.jpg

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So all the grey states are the ones with Colorado marijuana that they haven't caught yet. :rofl:

Just legalize it and tax it like Colorado and you wouldn't have to worry about that Colorado weed making it there, and you could raise some money for schools and whatnot.

I believe it will be on a bill for recreational use in California this year. Once it passes there and they see them making money and budget issues being helped it'll spread like crazy anyway.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
So all the grey states are the ones with Colorado marijuana that they haven't caught yet. :rofl:

Just legalize it and tax it like Colorado and you wouldn't have to worry about that Colorado weed making it there, and you could raise some money for schools and whatnot.

I believe it will be on a bill for recreational use in California this year. Once it passes there and they see them making money and budget issues being helped it'll spread like crazy anyway.

i cant wait for that to happen :hsughlol:

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I know Michael Noland had a bill that he was pressing but it fizzled out....

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB0753

I haven't smoked in over a decade but could care less what other people want to do... We already have medicinal though I hear its a total PITA to get here still, they need to just pass recreational as well and start digging out of their hole with the taxes raised.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Whoever did that was probably taught common core math too

common core math makes sense because it's how your brain thinks of math, when you read a facebook post on it complaining about it, it's made to look ridiculous of course.

Don't tell me how my brain works

There's a lot of BS surrounding Common Core...but [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] is correct, it is a more "natural" way to think about math...instead of seeing every equation as being approached the same old way, it teaches kids to estimate. People always complain about how subjects in school aren't relevant to everyday life...we use math all the time, but who has the time to break out a piece of paper to do some long division. Common core teaches them ways to accurately estimate the answer without having to do all the BS steps. Obviously that is just one example

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
instead of seeing every equation as being approached the same old way, it teaches kids to estimate. People always complain about how subjects in school aren't relevant to everyday life...we use math all the time, but who has the time to break out a piece of paper to do some long division. Common core teaches them ways to accurately estimate the answer without having to do all the BS steps.

I would not want ANY of those kids EVER working for NASA in the future.

We're going to send a manned mission to Mars. In order to do a proper re-entry into Mars atmosphere without killing the astronauts, we need to make an accurate calculation for the correct angle of approach. They must hit the atmosphere absolutely correctly or they will burn up or bounce off ensuring certain death. It's like shooting the edge of a piece of paper from a mile away.

Common core graduate:
"Hey no problem, we'll just estimate it". :noes:

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
There's a lot of BS surrounding Common Core...but [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] is correct, it is a more "natural" way to think about math...instead of seeing every equation as being approached the same old way, it teaches kids to estimate. People always complain about how subjects in school aren't relevant to everyday life...we use math all the time, but who has the time to break out a piece of paper to do some long division. Common core teaches them ways to accurately estimate the answer without having to do all the BS steps. Obviously that is just one example
I disagree completely. It's not a "natural" way to think about math, it's an attempt to teach number relation disguised as math. It's a much higher level concept than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, all of which you can do faster in your head if you have a strong grasp of number relation. Once it clicked for me that common core math was trying to teach exactly what I've been doing in my head for 25 years, it made more sense, but I still don't agree that it should be taught in elementary school over the old school approaches. As far as estimation is concerned, we were all taught that in school without this common core approach. Adding to [MENTION=4789]nytebyte[/MENTION]'s statement, knowing how to come up with the exact answer is always going to be more important than an estimation.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I disagree completely. It's not a "natural" way to think about math, it's an attempt to teach number relation disguised as math. It's a much higher level concept than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, all of which you can do faster in your head if you have a strong grasp of number relation. Once it clicked for me that common core math was trying to teach exactly what I've been doing in my head for 25 years, it made more sense, but I still don't agree that it should be taught in elementary school over the old school approaches. As far as estimation is concerned, we were all taught that in school without this common core approach. Adding to [MENTION=4789]nytebyte[/MENTION]'s statement, knowing how to come up with the exact answer is always going to be more important than an estimation.

There is a time and a place for sitting down and crunching the numbers the old school way, and a time that an accurate guesstimate will suffice. Again, that is not the ENTIRE portion of common core math, just a small section that people are latching onto. Yes, kids learn to guesstimate, but we all do that, and kids learning how to do it early will allow them to hone that skill more and more later in life. We all do it now, but I can't think of a time, in school, it was every specifically taught. To me, I use the guesstimate approach in daily life ALL the time...I don't know when the last time I sat down and did some long division.

Common core is much maligned, but it's because people hate change, find one item that they don't understand, and take it completely out of context. If the only experience with common core math (obviously I don't know your specific experience) but many just see the social media feeds and assume that's the entire program.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
There is a time and a place for sitting down and crunching the numbers the old school way, and a time that an accurate guesstimate will suffice. Again, that is not the ENTIRE portion of common core math, just a small section that people are latching onto. Yes, kids learn to guesstimate, but we all do that, and kids learning how to do it early will allow them to hone that skill more and more later in life. We all do it now, but I can't think of a time, in school, it was every specifically taught. To me, I use the guesstimate approach in daily life ALL the time...I don't know when the last time I sat down and did some long division.

Common core is much maligned, but it's because people hate change, find one item that they don't understand, and take it completely out of context. If the only experience with common core math (obviously I don't know your specific experience) but many just see the social media feeds and assume that's the entire program.
I know there's more to it, and I don't know it all, and I'm all for multiple approaches to learning, but I'll make my point again. It's not math they're teaching, it's number relationship in a force fed approach to doing math. It's like me giving my wife an in-depth lesson of the operation of the internal combustion engine to explain how to do an oil change. And I completely agree with you that estimating is extremely useful on a daily basis. I do, however recall being taught estimation in school, if I recall, probably right around the same time as rounding.

I came to conclusions on number relationships and how to use them to perform both accurate and estimated mathematical operations in my head on my own. I was never formally taught that. I'm not sure there actually is a way (or a better way) to teach it, but it's certainly not a concept for an 8 year old.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I know there's more to it, and I don't know it all, and I'm all for multiple approaches to learning, but I'll make my point again. It's not math they're teaching, it's number relationship in a force fed approach to doing math. It's like me giving my wife an in-depth lesson of the operation of the internal combustion engine to explain how to do an oil change. And I completely agree with you that estimating is extremely useful on a daily basis. I do, however recall being taught estimation in school, if I recall, probably right around the same time as rounding.

I came to conclusions on number relationships and how to use them to perform both accurate and estimated mathematical operations in my head on my own. I was never formally taught that. I'm not sure there actually is a way (or a better way) to teach it, but it's certainly not a concept for an 8 year old.

I could walk up to the editorial staff in my building, and get a better breakdown on common core math (I work for a book publisher and we have our math editorial onsite), but I don't believe that 1st and 2nd graders are learning the complex estimation that is being seen in the media, it's older elementary 4th and 5th grade and up, who's mental development can better understand and relate the complex theory. Students, to my understanding, aren't being denied the ability to do math the "old school" way, but as you say, are learning number relationships. They aren't being pigeon-holed into doing the math one way, they are given the freedom to find the answer. I remember being frustrated by doing math in my head, and not "showing my work" and somehow getting the problem wrong, even though the answer was correct. Common core is now encouraging students to develop that skill earlier, because when you can do that math without sitting down and having to write it down, you are going to be more efficient learners and more efficient producers. To me, it's more logical to learn relationships with numbers along with problem solving, but that's me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info