Any good deals on Cat 7a Ethernet Cable?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I'm looking for 100 ft of Cat7a cable. Gonna wire a jack next to my STB (and connect cat7a from the STB to the new jack) and run cable through the attic and down to the media closet and have my RG (residential gateway) sit in the media closet as well and run cat6 cable from the gateway to the living room (2 cables). Also thinking of running cable to the home office and put in a new jack as well. Eventually, a little down the road, will wire a few jacks and cables to the garage as well but currently will bridge the AC router for now.

So any decent deals on Cat7 cable? Not looking to spend a couple hundred on 500 ft. Just want 100 ft for now and can run cat6 for everything else.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Yea, Cat7 is 10G. Essentially, Cat 6 would suffice. I just want Cat7 as the main line running to the gateway, then eventually some many many years down the road, cable is still relevant. I guess you can say "future proofing." Of course I won't be here in this house (optimistically), but would be nice to have a gigabit network setup soon. Starting off small and working my way up.

I appreciate the gesture. Monoprice does have 100 ft for $45 (includes $10 shipping). I figured I would be able to get it for about $30-35 out the door, but what's an extra $10. :dunno:

Now time to order the Cat 6. I may order 500 ft of that as I will be wiring the garage in the future and need at least 60 feet for the living room.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I do have fiber internet, and would be nice to run it wired through out the house. I guess I should have had the house wired during the building process, but it is what it is.

Found a decent price on a roll of Cat6. I think I'll just end up doing that. I know I won't fully utilize the potential of it anyways, or at least for the a long time down the road. Might as well save a few bucks.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Even IF you're running 10gb, just run cat5. No real need for that fancy shit. Once you get to cat6, the connectors are special and the cables are a PITA to make and test/certify to 6 spec. Can't imagine how much a PITA 7 must be...

I totally agree with this. I just use 5e for the most part. Some 6 is standard size I've found. But if your going to go through the hassle of cat7/6e....go fiber for a bit more money for the backbone and never worry about upgrading.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
So I actually work for Anixter, which is one of the largest Wire and Cable Distributors in the world. We actually helped to develop CAT ratings.

I can tell you that CAT 7/7A really aren't even accepted as a standard yet.

If you truly want good 10gig you need to make sure you follow install requirements. There are certain bend radius requirements as well as proximity to other sources of interference that need to be taken into account for it to be 10 gig certified.

If you really want to do this right the first time I would suggest either looking at CDW or Anixter's website and get some Belden or CommScope cable. They are the industry standard. Many of the cheaper brands are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) and are absolute shit.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So I actually work for Anixter, which is one of the largest Wire and Cable Distributors in the world. We actually helped to develop CAT ratings.

If you truly want good 10gig you need to make sure you follow install requirements. There are certain bend radius requirements as well as proximity to other sources of interference that need to be taken into account for it to be 10 gig certified.

If you really want to do this right the first time I would suggest either looking at CDW or Anixter's website and get some Belden or CommScope cable. They are the industry standard. Many of the cheaper brands are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) and are absolute shit.

I'm pretty sure my company buys from you on occasion for the harnesses and wiring we do.... Are you a salesman there?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I'm pretty sure my company buys from you on occasion for the harnesses and wiring we do.... Are you a salesman there?
We do a lot of kitting for harnesses and what not. I'm not a sales person, I'm in the IT infrastructure side of things.

I just like knowing what we sell and have a pretty good understanding of structured cabling from my position.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

This x11tybillion.

The installation is key, but the testing and certification is the real gotcha. Most handmade and installed cables will fail even basic 6A certification, let alone anything 7*.

Just stay with 5e and save some time, money and disillusionment around what your installed cabling can actually handle. :D

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Just gonna say overall I concur unless this is going to be a pain in the ass to rip and replace or you're going to run fiber, forget the fancier cabling. I would also say if you want to roll cables (not terminating to punch blocks) get pre-made ones. Sure you can crimp up good patches but at the same time it increases the odds of having weird network issues.

Lastly, what switching gear do you have? If it's not decent I'd be curious how much throughput you'll actually get. 3750Gs are actually going for a decent price on Ebay, I'd check em out. Either that or say a Power Connect 6224 or 6248 depending on port count needs.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I opted not to get Cat7. As many of you mentioned on here plus the research I've read, it just isn't worth it. I did get 100 ft cat6 cable for the time being so I can run my initial cabling and re-route my gigapower gateway to my media closet. I'm just hoping it won't be a pain to fish the cable to that location. I guess if worse comes to worse, I have a backup plan for location.

I did see plenty of "cheap" cable online, however, they were CCA and not bare copper. So that's one reason I opted just to get the initial 100 ft. As for switches, I haven't gotten one yet. I'll get one when I get some cable and ready to run line everywhere else. I also may redo my media closet and better organize it. Add better shelving, clean up the cabling for the surround sound and tv, ect.

I figure instead of rushing, take it a step at a time. The more you rush, the greater the chance in an error.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info