Router and Streaming Issues Please Help!

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am visiting my in-laws and they recently had a Charter tech come out to their house and update some phone lines and evidently at the same time the guy changed out their wireless router because theirs was old. After that was switched, they cannot stream Netflix or Hulu through their Sony DVD player. Everything worked before the router switch. The router is a D-link DIR-601.

I have messed with this fucker for several hours now and can't figure it out. I have re-set, and re started the router and DVD player. The DVD player connects to the Internet without issue and I can access the web browser from the DVD player. If I disable the firewall on the router, then Netflix and Hulu work without issue but I don't want to leave the firewall down. I have fiddled with a few settings on the router from reading online but nothing worked.

We thought it was the DVD player at first and bought them a roku. We couldn't even get the roku to work so we returned it.

Anyone have any thoughts or tips to get this to work? I have never had a router mess up media streaming through a DVD player only and still have the Internet work fine. Netflix and Hulu will stream from iPads connected to the same network. I am glad I am not in the tech field or everything would end up on fire.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Just did all of that. It is a wireless DVD player and won't let me set the IP address to static. Although every time I have checked the IP address for the player it is the same. It still doesn't work and we are leaving so the tech dude will have to come back. Thanks for the help though man. It was worth a shot.

Edit: is it common for this to happen when switching routers? I have never ran into this even with all the routers I have gone through.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Just did all of that. It is a wireless DVD player and won't let me set the IP address to static. Although every time I have checked the IP address for the player it is the same. It still doesn't work and we are leaving so the tech dude will have to come back. Thanks for the help though man. It was worth a shot.

Edit: is it common for this to happen when switching routers? I have never ran into this even with all the routers I have gone through.

No. If other devices work this one should too. I'd reset the DVD network settings to default (of that option exists) and have it reconnect to the WiFi like a new device. Maybe even factory default the whole unit.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
No. If other devices work this one should too. I'd reset the DVD network settings to default (of that option exists) and have it reconnect to the WiFi like a new device. Maybe even factory default the whole unit.

Good to know I am not too retarded when it comes to this stuff then. Before we left I did a full reset of the DVD player to factory and re set-up the network and it still wouldn't work. I gave up. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me set the router on fire. Thanks for the help though man. It was worth a shot.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Good to know I am not too retarded when it comes to this stuff then. Before we left I did a full reset of the DVD player to factory and re set-up the network and it still wouldn't work. I gave up. Unfortunately they wouldn't let me set the router on fire. Thanks for the help though man. It was worth a shot.

Yeah that's strange. Maybe some sort of incompatibility between the 2 devices. Who knows lol electronic shit acts weird sometimes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SleeperLS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list