Macbook Owners Chime In..

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
So I need to finally replace my ancient toshiba laptop. It has served me well however is on its last leg. Everything still works, however even w/a SSD it can't handle new webpages.. Fresh windows install etc... doesn't matter.. Ram is max upgraded. Its just old. Want jump to a macbook.. Just because no new windows laptops entice me to buy one.

What do you guys recommend? Should I just wait it out for skylake macbooks?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm on year number three with my 15" Retina. The LCD hinge is ever so slightest loose and in need of tightening and the letters are starting to wear off the keyboard. It sees a regular 4 - 5 hours of use per day, travels around the country, has been dropped on my car once and 5 feet to the cement floor in our carport once.

Even if you want to run Windows, run it on a Macbook. They are the best laptop.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I'm on year number three with my 15" Retina. The LCD hinge is ever so slightest loose and in need of tightening and the letters are starting to wear off the keyboard. It sees a regular 4 - 5 hours of use per day, travels around the country, has been dropped on my car once and 5 feet to the cement floor in our carport once.

Even if you want to run Windows, run it on a Macbook. They are the best laptop.

Apples marketing team couldn't have said it better.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I was considering an apple laptop, but ended up sticking to a PC. I went with a Lenovo Y50 15.6". It just seemed like I was getting more for my money. I was able to get a 4k monitor, backlit keyboard, Nvidia GeForce 960 graphics card, 512 GB ssd, 16 GB Ram, and a Core i7 processor for quite a bit less than what a comparable MacBook would have cost.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I was considering an apple laptop, but ended up sticking to a PC. I went with a Lenovo Y50 15.6". It just seemed like I was getting more for my money. I was able to get a 4k monitor, backlit keyboard, Nvidia GeForce 960 graphics card, 512 GB ssd, 16 GB Ram, and a Core i7 processor for quite a bit less than what a comparable MacBook would have cost.

You will always get more for your money by avoiding apple.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
My MacBook Pro is 4.5 years old and still running strong. Battery life is really good, performance is just fine for what I'm doing.

You may get better specs for your money by avoiding apple, but my PC laptop didn't even last 2 years before it crapped out on me.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
You will always get more for your money by avoiding apple.

I disagree, based on experiences of a Macbook lasting YEARS while other notebooks have lasted only months before dying.

Its more about what you do than anything. A heavy gamer may not have the best experience with a mac, nor would someone just wanting to read an online forum, both extreme cases would see "less value" in apple.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
And I have a 2 yr old Chromebook that runs perfectly and cost me $150.

I know some apples that lasted 20 days.

Electronics die when they die regardless of brand or what you paid. I personally can't justify paying 50-100% more for the same exact hardware...or for even worse hardware....just because of a brand name and aluminum case...

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Buy the macbook and never look back. I would never ever purchase another PC after owning 2 of the macbooks so far. Right when I started college my dad through his work tricked out a Dell with a bunch of business only options better internals bla bla bla. It ran great for about 2 years. Then slowly started to crash, slow down etc.

The wifes previous macbook (The white covered older one) lasted a total of 7 years before the battery finally stopped charging. Yet the laptop is still running strong while plugged in.

We now have a brand new Macbook pro retina display and it blows away any other laptop ive had. Screen wise and all.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
My Macbook pro isn't glitch-less, but love the slim, lightweight design of my MBP 13-inch retina and ability to run all the photo and video editing software I want and watch any video resolution with no problem, and it came form the factory like that. No tweaking from me needed. If you go retina and run the Word suite, just make sure to update to the retina-compatible programs. The text is blurry and it's hard to use if you don't have a retina-compatible version, though the screen has been out for so long I think everything should be at this point.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
And I have a 2 yr old Chromebook that runs perfectly and cost me $150.

I know some apples that lasted 20 days.

Well that's the exception that proves the rule then, isn't it?

Electronics die when they die regardless of brand or what you paid. I personally can't justify paying 50-100% more for the same exact hardware...or for even worse hardware....just because of a brand name and aluminum case...

I don't think it's so much a matter of electronics dying as much as it is a matter of everything else breaking. I owned a bunch of laptops before I went to Mac and couldn't get a year out of any of them before a physical component would break. I had a top of the line Dell Studio that broke at the LCD hinge and started splitting the case apart. I think I got 8 months out of that one.

For me the Macbook is built solidly and has withstood extreme usage and a lot of abuse. As someone that was previously replacing poorly built windows laptops at a clip of about 1 - 2 a year, I look at it like this. I'm paying more up front but paying less long term.

Are there well built non-Macbooks out there that are a lot cheaper? I'm sure there are but they are the exception and I'm not about to start weeding through reviews to find one that doesn't suck, especially when I already know I can pay a bit more and get something that's going to let me throw it around.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Well that's the exception that proves the rule then, isn't it?

I don't think it's so much a matter of electronics dying as much as it is a matter of everything else breaking. I owned a bunch of laptops before I went to Mac and couldn't get a year out of any of them before a physical component would break. I had a top of the line Dell Studio that broke at the LCD hinge and started splitting the case apart. I think I got 8 months out of that one.

For me the Macbook is built solidly and has withstood extreme usage and a lot of abuse. As someone that was previously replacing poorly built windows laptops at a clip of about 1 - 2 a year, I look at it like this. I'm paying more up front but paying less long term.

Are there well built non-Macbooks out there that are a lot cheaper? I'm sure there are but they are the exception and I'm not about to start weeding through reviews to find one that doesn't suck, especially when I already know I can pay a bit more and get something that's going to let me throw it around.

I still have my Dell Studio XPS 16 from like 2007 I think we got it. But its been through 2 keyboards, two power supplies, a main board and 2 wireless cards. Still working now though.

But they are nothing compared to my unibody macbook pro. When I pickup the dell with one hand while the lid is open, the whole chassis flexes and creaks. The macbook doesnt. Also you can lift the lid of the macbook without holding the base down, and it wont lift the whole laptop in the air unlike the dell. I LOVE that about the macs. They put thought into the tension of the lid hinges so you have just enough to keep the lid steady when its open, but it wont lift the base when being pulled open with one finger. Thats engineering and design thats worth the price. I dig them. And lets not forget how completely superior OSx is compared to Windows anything.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Thinkpads with magnesium cases have many running for 5-6 years of heavy abuse. Metal hinges, same stuff as the macbook.

But I am the exception here ;)

Touche. Thinkpads were always built like tanks weren't they? They're so ugly though!

And lets not forget how completely superior OSx is compared to Windows anything.

I haven't used Windows in probably 5 years and I'm running 7 on my virtual machine so I don't know how it is now but for me Mac OS kind of blows. The gestures are terrible, the separate desktops are really confusing and it's all just kind of meh to me. The integration with other Apple devices is priceless though.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Touche. Thinkpads were always built like tanks weren't they? They're so ugly though!

I haven't used Windows in probably 5 years and I'm running 7 on my virtual machine so I don't know how it is now but for me Mac OS kind of blows. The gestures are terrible, the separate desktops are really confusing and it's all just kind of meh to me. The integration with other Apple devices is priceless though.

Yeah if you want pretty get a MBP. No arguments there.

The whole thing of like what ZXmustang said with his XPS flexing a breaking etc. That is the reason most consumer grade laptops fail. People pick them up by a corner, the motherboard flexes and it fails over time. The MBP, Thinkpad and a few others are built tough enough that it doesn't happen and boom you have a reliable laptop for more then 2 years. Plus the newer thinkpads are designed so if you spill water on the keyboard it filters right through the laptop out the bottom. Pretty neat imo.

In the end I can't deny the macbook pros are built reasonably tough. But if you aren't tied to OSX you can find just as tough laptops elsewhere. Unless it has to be pretty also ;)

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The one thing that is undeniable that apple got right and every other laptop on earth gets wrong is the trackpad. I don't even know how to quantify it because even if the other laptops can do the same functions, they do it in a way that isn't as perfect as the MacBook. Seriously, just try a Mac trackpad and tell me it isn't the best one you've ever used.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info