Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Yup

GoPro will soon be manufacturing drones. The Wall Street Journal reports that the company, known for its hugely popular line of action video cameras, will release consumer drones "late next year." GoPro's drones will be multi-rotor helicopters that carry high-definition cameras likely resembling those used in existing devices like the GoPro Hero series. According to the report, GoPro is aiming to price its consumer drones between $500 and $1,000, an aggressive range that could immediately shake up the consumer drone market.

Companies like DJI and Parrot have established an early foothold in that business, but GoPro's reputation and dominance of the action cam segment will likely put its future competitors on the defensive almost immediately. Some existing drones already support GoPro cameras, so it will be interesting to see if manufacturers change their strategy once they're competing directly against the company. We know GoPro can build quality cameras, so the bigger question is about the drone hardware itself. At this point, Parrot and DJI have both had multiple tries at building quality consumer drones. And the field will likely be even larger once GoPro's drones are ready. But in many ways, it's an obvious move; you can already take GoPro's cameras nearly anywhere. Now it sounds like the company wants to become the all-in-one solution for aerial photography.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
awesome, would love one that can automagically follow on a race track. i've heard the air drone cannot keep up to speeds at least in current form. i'm going to work on a lion camp in 3 months and i'd kind of like to have one there, although don't really want to buy something until it's a fast lead/follow. so if anyone has a drone that's easy to fly and wants to let me borrow/rent it for a month... ;p

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
awesome, would love one that can automagically follow on a race track. i've heard the air drone cannot keep up to speeds at least in current form. i'm going to work on a lion camp in 3 months and i'd kind of like to have one there, although don't really want to buy something until it's a fast lead/follow. so if anyone has a drone that's easy to fly and wants to let me borrow/rent it for a month... ;p

Are you still planning on going to the one located just North of Johannesburg, South Africa? I will be passing by there in just over 2 weeks from now on my way to safari. My GF just got me a mini-drone with video/still camera on it and I am so tempted to take it with me and shoot aerial photos of the wildlife out on the savanna. I need to see how this thing flies outside before attempting that, though! I wish I had one of the more expensive fancy GPS ones (my flight skills suck!), but I guess that will come in the next few years.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
yeah i would like a gps one that follows you too, but at least for the kickstarter one (airdog) i've heard it can't keep up with a car, and that's probably not even near a car on track.

i am set to go to cape town a few days, work on the lion camp for 2 weeks in joburg, then stop for a few days in abu dhabi on the way back.

there is a new program now that is working with cheetahs and releasing them back in the wild, looks like it has serval training too, in durban. already want to sign up for that one too...

yes please

2014-10-21-08.27.30_blue.jpg

baaa.jpg

2014-10-20-15.12.16.jpg

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I'd LOVE to have a drone for real estate pics/vids but I'm not going to get a pilot's license just to fly one.

A drone for flyovers and taking aerial photography would be perfect for a real estate agent! Sure it's expensive, but would seem like a wise investment considering the potential return from people better visualizing the properties that you represent.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
i am set to go to cape town a few days, work on the lion camp for 2 weeks in joburg, then stop for a few days in abu dhabi on the way back.

there is a new program now that is working with cheetahs and releasing them back in the wild, looks like it has serval training too, in durban. already want to sign up for that one too...

yes please

2014-10-21-08.27.30_blue.jpg

baaa.jpg

2014-10-20-15.12.16.jpg

Durban is a nice place. You should like your stay there!

Yeah, if it wasn't clear enough, now it is crystal as to why you are volunteering. Hell, got a spot for me? :pedobear:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
now is about the time that i should be picking 1 or 2 places to go the rest of the year if i'm going to use points. 2 african kitty adventures in one year seems like a lot though. so i'm trying to figure out what i should go see the rest of 2015.
Bucket List | I Go By Plane
might do 1 week to nurburgring with a buddy, haven't looked up point cost/availability for that one yet.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Do you even know what an Internet troll is? Because i know what a whiny libertard is. You!

I'm starting to really get sick of your shit, you really need to stfu already.

I'd offer to fight you and spot you a punch but you wouldn't show and then would post a picture of yourself at the fight location 2 hours later and ask why I didn't come.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info