Tampa Bay trades Gaines Adams to the Bears

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
From CBS Sports: The Buccaneers traded defensive end Gaines Adams to the Bears for a second-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft on Friday.
Analysis: Adams played in 37 career games with 29 starts, totaling 124 tackles, 13.5 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and 13 passes defensed. He entered the league as Tampa Bay’s first round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft. Bears defensive line coach Rod Marinelli had coveted Adams back in 2007 when he came out of Clemson and was coach of the Lions. Now Marinelli will get the chance to work with him.

From RotoWorld: Bears acquired DE Gaines Adams from the Buccaneers in exchange for what is believed to be a 2010 second-round draft pick.
While Bucs GM Mark Dominik mails in the season by dealing off his most gifted pass rusher and nearing insertion of an underclassman rookie QB, Bears GM Jerry Angelo is in the talent acquisition business. Trading first-day picks isn't advised, except when the return is a 26-year-old with dominating ability and a contract through 2012. Jim Bates, who's clearly lost his touch, couldn't get enough out of Adams in his first season as Bucs defensive coordinator. It's a good bet that Bears defensive line coach Rod Marinelli will.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Have to give the Bears front office credit this past year for making these kind of moves. This should really help with our DB situation by getting more pressure on opposing QBs.

I agree. I hate to jinx da bears but this is the type of move they NEEDED to make for the last 5 years. Finally, they've committed to a young, ass kicking D-lineman who's not constantly hurt instead of another washed up hazbeen who lookin to end his career with a nice pay day. The only think that would have made it better was if he was tackle instead of an end.

This almost looks to me like da bears managment actually gives a damn about winning instead of putting asses in seats...but let's just wait and see how this plays out.

Is Adams gonna suit up for Sunday night?

***crap****
I just read this guys only 260lbs. WTF are we gonna do with another 3-4 type linebacker in a 5-3 style defense ????

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Dan Hampton mentioned the fact that Adams had admitted "experimenting" with Marijuana in college and mentioned that his lack of intensity might be tied to hanging around with guys who like the Mary Jane. Hopefully, Tampa trading him will be a wake up call to the kid and Marinelli will get him to perform the way he was expected to when he was drafted #4 overall.

A side benefit is that this move will make every other Bear DE perform better since it sends a message that their jobs aren't necessarily secure and they can be replaced. Another benefit is Ogunleye is in a contract year and the Bears are now not as dependent on signing him for possibly big bucks.

I wonder what is happening with Jarron Gilbert, the DT taken in the last draft.

Bears now have no #1 and no #2 picks in the 2010 draft.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Flyn
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list