Windows/DOS help - edit a boot disk image and add stuff to it

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Ok, so I've downloaded a boot cd-rom disk image for DOS.

I burn it to cd and it boots fine. its chock full of fix-your-broken-pc utilities. whoop de fuckin doo. i need to upgrade a bios, not save someone's /b/ folder.

How, on a Vista or XP machine, do I edit an .img file, add the BIOS updater dealiebobber application to the image, and save it without ruining the boot sector info?

Adding the bootable image and the BIOS updater files to a Roxio project doesn't get me what I need. That simply gets me a two partition disc and DOS can't read NTFS.

So, how do I add the BIOS updating software to my bootable cd image?

and im not going to pay a lot for this muffler

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just burn the BIOS tools and BIOS image files to a CD or to a USB memory stick, then use a program called NTFS4DOS to run the tools.

I usually use a utility CD called "Ultimate Boot CD". I boot the Ultimate Boot CD, then choose the NTFS4DOS utility. Once that starts, I then stick in the BIOS CD or switch to the memory stick and run the BIOS tools. I have done this dozens of times and just did it a couple weeks ago to upgrade the BIOS on three Dell servers. It works great. If you use a USB stick, be sure to have it inserted before powering on the computer.

You can get the Ultimate Boot CD here:
Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

There is also a little nicer one called "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows", but you have to build it manually. It sounds like you're trying to avoid anything complicated, so you may not want to use this method. Basically it makes a CD that has a bootable version of Windows on it. It also has NTFS4DOS and other utilities.

Ultimate Boot CD for Windows:
UBCD for Windows

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
its a scratch-built machine from pieces snarfed from the closeout/return bins at fry's and micro center running freebsd 7.2-stable

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E1500 @ 2.20GHz (2218.19-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x6fd Stepping = 13
Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
Features2=0xe39d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
AMD Features=0x20000800<SYSCALL,LM>
AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
TSC: P-state invariant
Cores per package: 2
usable memory = 1055195136 (1006 MB)
avail memory = 1015844864 (968 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <7529MS A7529200>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID: 0
cpu1 (AP): APIC ID: 1

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ShelbyGuy
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list