Changing injectors, what do I change in Powrtuner?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
So I need to change the injectors in my 04, as one of the aftermarket 42lb'ers has died. Thankfully I have new 80lb'ers sitting here.

Now, once they're changed I will need to update my pcm/tune. I plan on getting dyno'ed soon, but I need her up and running for now.

Now are the tables I change the injector flow rate and injector flow rate (alt) tables? I will attach a pic, and how do I modify it and what do I put for 80lb injectors?? Should I use the stock data and modify from there or the data that's in there now?

Also when I go to upload this info do I do a partial write or full write? Nothing else will be touched, only what I NEED to change to run these injectors.

Thanks
-Nick
[MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

Attachments

• injectors.png
    injectors.png
    210 KB · Views: 104

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
id help ya but every time i think of math, i think of the number pi, then i start thinking about pie, then i start getting hungry, then i lose all interest in math and must instead turn to foraging.... and there dont seem to be many applie pie tree's around these parts.

I see numbers and my mind goes..............

Honest question, does 80lb injectors cause bad idle quality / run poorly?/ loss in gas mileage (besides of course the being able to inject more fuel meaning I can run more boost for more power--if I was capable) I was told 80's were too extreme for those reasons, unless I was planning on running e85.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I've never run 80's, but I do hear that idle quality slightly declines with them.

You can take your current table times .53125.

Or take your stock table times .4125.

I basically got the 80's for the price of 60's shipped no tax. So that's why I would like to use them but if drive ability is going to take a dive then I would just wait and find someone that wanted to do an even trade with 60's. What're your thoughts? Keep in mind I'm not running a cam so my idle and drivability is near stock (1.9 modded rockers and hv3) so I can afford a slight loss.

Now by taking my table times, do I multiply that figure (.53125 if current table or .4125 if stock table) with the number in each cell and then do what? I'm a powrtuner noob so I'm lost lol

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Unless you are trying to keep them new for resale, I would at least give them a try to see what you think. You are turbod, right? If you are switching to e85, I'd keep the 80's.

Yup, in your IFR table, take each cell times whichever number in my previous post, and you will be set.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Unless you are trying to keep them new for resale, I would at least give them a try to see what you think. You are turbod, right? If you are switching to e85, I'd keep the 80's.

Yup, in your IFR table, take each cell times whichever number in my previous post, and you will be set.

Yes turbo'd and might eventually go e85, I did buy an aem e85 compatible pump, just in case (that is going in ether way) I was kind of just planning ahead for a just in case scenario to do it one time.

For example:

Cell kpa -50 is 164.19

So multiply that by .51235 and I get 87.225, that's what I would input? And so on?

I see numbers and my mind goes..............

Honest question, does 80lb injectors cause bad idle quality / run poorly?/ loss in gas mileage (besides of course the being able to inject more fuel meaning I can run more boost for more power--if I was capable) I was told 80's were too extreme for those reasons, unless I was planning on running e85.

I have 120s on my car on E85. Idles like stock (when I didn't have a massive vacuum leak, lol) I am in the process of switching back to pump gas so I can go back to a single fuel pump and actually have a working gas gauge. I will let you know how it runs. I have an AEM driver box and run low imp injectors...if you are still running high imp injectors they could be harder to control. I think the latency on those high imp injectors can get pretty ridiculous at larger sizes.

How do you like the AEM driver?

What pumps were you running?

It works just fine. Like I said, smooth and tuneable even on 1250cc injectors. It is seamless once installed, you'd never know it was there...no special tuning considerations or anything. Also, I have 4 additional injector channels so I can add additional injectors later and just trigger them off any of the existing triggers and not have to upgrade all my injectors again later if I need more fuel.

I was running two 320lph pumps from highflowfuel. It was overkill, but only slightly so due to the high injection pressures when the boost comes on. They always took care of me on warranty, even when I was running straight methanol and ran the pumps dry due to gas gauge not working. They were a bitch to get hung on the stock assembly, basically had to cut everything out. I am switching back to pump gas plus direct port water/meth injection to reduce my fuel requirements so that I can run a single walbro 450 and hopefully get a working gas gauge again.

I do think I actually have a spare AEM driver box that I bought when I thought I had blown mine up (ended up being a bad wiring connection)...if you are interested in going that route feel free to PM me about it. I know I had it for sale at one point, would have to look and make sure I didn't already sell it.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Well I changed the injectors and updated the bin. Definitely need a retune, BUT she's drivable, idle is rich per the wideband, but cruise seems pretty spot on. Idles smooth.

I was chasing a cylinder 5 misfire at idle and would trip up under boost.. it would sometimes trip the check engine light. Changed plug, wire, coil pack, absolutely no difference so when cylinder 3 injector died only that cylinder would show misfire and cylinder 5 miss is gone.

Blew my exhaust apart soooo gonna fix that tomorrow and replace both rear calipers, one is leaking from a seal by the ebrake crap. 160k on them so I'll change both. Pushes my timeline back to get a retune since I first need to save a few pennies to buy the power logs, and still need to figure out how to install the new fuel pump....

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Well I changed the injectors and updated the bin. Definitely need a retune, BUT she's drivable, idle is rich per the wideband, but cruise seems pretty spot on. Idles smooth.

I was chasing a cylinder 5 misfire at idle and would trip up under boost.. it would sometimes trip the check engine light. Changed plug, wire, coil pack, absolutely no difference so when cylinder 3 injector died only that cylinder would show misfire and cylinder 5 miss is gone.

Blew my exhaust apart soooo gonna fix that tomorrow and replace both rear calipers, one is leaking from a seal by the ebrake crap. 160k on them so I'll change both. Pushes my timeline back to get a retune since I first need to save a few pennies to buy the power logs, and still need to figure out how to install the new fuel pump....

I would expect idle to be rich, as from what I've read, 80's are tough to control at that low of an rpm. But, glad everything else is working well for you.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Again, I don't have any personal experience with them, but from everything I've read, Siemen's 80's just don't work very well. It seems like the Bosch 95# injectors are better. But they are also more expensive for probably about the same idle characteristics. So not really any reason to get them, unless you need that much fuel.

Ah, I've read that thread like 8 times. I just forget who's got what on all the forums.

I'm about an hour West of Omaha. So, about 5 hours from Wichita. I usually try to make it to one of the tracks farther south every year towards fall when it starts to cool off. Been wanting to try the track in Wichita, but haven't made it there yet.

I've got a couch any time you want!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info