Grabber's 2016 Dodge Durango R/T AWD

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Whelp,

Mustang is gone along with my 2008 Explorer that was my DD.

Wanted something new and something that can be driven all year, looks good, drives good and has decent power.

Test drove a new 2016 Ford Explorer sport @Beast which was awesome! But, it didn't really blow me away. Then, we drove the 2016 Durango R/T and it blew my mind. For a 5,300LB SUV, it is fairly quick, rides and handles extremely well.

Here are some pics.

Not doing much in terms in performance mods on this one. May do an intake that doesn't require a tune, few appearance mods such as Tints, plate frames, small accessories for the car, weather tech digital line mats for all 3 rows and I already replaced the factory lugs with blacked out gorilla lugs and wheel locks.

I really like and enjoy this car. In the 3 days we've had it, we've already put almost 300 miles on it and it's barely gone through a half tank of gas which is pretty awesome.

-Chris

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wow, I'm kind of shocked that this beat out the Explorer Sport! Can you put a finger on what it was that shifted your choice to Dodge?

I still have a terrible opinion of Dodge based on prior experience - but maybe if its a car you're not keeping forever (who really keeps cars forever anyway) maybe its not a big deal any more? :dunno:

Congrats on the new ride! :bigthumb:

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
Wow, I'm kind of shocked that this beat out the Explorer Sport! Can you put a finger on what it was that shifted your choice to Dodge?

I still have a terrible opinion of Dodge based on prior experience - but maybe if its a car you're not keeping forever (who really keeps cars forever anyway) maybe its not a big deal any more? :dunno:

My guess would be a combination of price (the dodge is cheaper), and the explorer sport just doesn't feel as fast. The v8 rumble is a no brainer.

I drove the Explorer sport as well and while it was nice, it wasn't memorable. I looked very hard at the Durango R/T, I can only bet it is far more pleasureable to drive. The explorer felt like it served its purpose, the Dodge I would bet has a fun to drive factor compared to the Ford.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL

The new Explorer looked great and had a super nice interior with tons of bells and whistles. However, it felt smaller than our previous 2008 Explorer, with akward seats and armrest height. The car felt very low to the ground, almost as if we were driving a sedan. In addition, the AWD with a 3.5 Turbo engine had a great idea. It had "lag" and was somewhat slow to accelerate for a smaller SUV.

The price was a bit higher than the Durango, simply due to the fact that it was fully loaded.

As soon as I drove the R/T, the V8, handling, bigger overall size on the inside and looks won it without a look back at the Explorer.

My guess would be a combination of price (the dodge is cheaper), and the explorer sport just doesn't feel as fast. The v8 rumble is a no brainer.

I drove the Explorer sport as well and while it was nice, it wasn't memorable. I looked very hard at the Durango R/T, I can only bet it is far more pleasureable to drive. The explorer felt like it served its purpose, the Dodge I would bet has a fun to drive factor compared to the Ford.

That's pretty much it. Granted, the Ecoboost Explorer will be faster with basic mods like an intake/tune/downpipe, but, I don't care too much about modding the car. The V8 sounds awesome, the car, for as big as it is, moves out very well. It was far more roomier on the inside and after putting 300 miles in 3 days, it's safe to say the car is far more comfortable.

I haven't been this happy in a while. It's a tough car, that looks great, handles and drives great that I can drive all the time with zero issue. The Mustang, well, it had it's limits and was not practical as the gas mileage was even worse and it was essentially a 2.5 seater car. LOL.

Thanks guys!

Congratulations bro! Looks like a nice new ride. And I totally hear you on the engine thing. I have an Ecoboost F150 and love it, but it just doesn't have the V8 feel and sound. Works great, gets great fuel mileage, and has good power, but not awe inspiring in any way. :/

But I will be needing to confiscate that Ford Racing banner and move it to my garage. LOL

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Congrats on purchase. Looks real nice. I am surprised the V6 echo sport felt slower though. Thought that SUV was at least .5 faster to 60 then the R/T

Felt slower, but, it's really only a couple of tenths quicker. In comparison, the R/T drives smoother, is effortless to accelerate, whereas the Explorer felt like it needed to power up before taking off.

Both the R/T and Sport are high 14's stock around 92-94 MPH and hit 60 in about 6.2-6.5 seconds.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Felt slower, but, it's really only a couple of tenths quicker. In comparison, the R/T drives smoother, is effortless to accelerate, whereas the Explorer felt like it needed to power up before taking off.

Both the R/T and Sport are high 14's stock around 92-94 MPH and hit 60 in about 6.2-6.5 seconds.

Nice. Good to know and once again congrats. I really like the styling on the new Durangos

Thread Info