Got rid of the TBSS and got a '13 Silvy crew cab

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I decided to get rid of my money pit TBSS and traded it in for a new Silverado crew cab a few weeks ago. My plans for the SS exceeded my current pay scale and debt to income ratio and the combination of squeaks, rattles, repairs, ever rising fuel costs, buying a house, getting married next year plus the awesome deals on the '13 Silvy's made it easier to get rid of it. I wanted an LTZ but when I saw the $700+ monthly payments I changed my mind (quickly) and got an LT2 All Star Edition with the center console and factory 20's. Already debadged the tailgate and tinted the front windows and I have 2 sheets of diamond plate sitting in the garage to make my own 2 piece tonneau cover.

Plans for it;
I haven't decided whether I want to raise it or lower it yet. I've seen a few raised that I like but I'm leaning more towards a 3/5 drop and eventually putting TBSS factory reproduction 22's on it unless I can find something I like more.
Deciding between a Borla, Magnaflow or Corsa muffler swap and leaning towards the Magnaflow. Cat back exhaust is pretty much a waste of money since changing the exhaust on these doesn't really yield any performance gains.
Stereo will be put in once I get the interfaces I need and a console sub so I don't eat up the space under the rear seats.
Chrome or color matched door handles???? I kind of like the chrome on the truck and with it being silver I don't think it'll make a huge difference as long as they're not black.

As she sits now I really like this truck and don't miss the TBSS all that much, it's great having a solid car that I'm not hypersensitive to every noise and awkward bump I hit.

u4y2ynap.jpg

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
That's just the thing though. Chrome handles will probably get lost in the paint as much as color matched. Regardless I'll probably end up getting chrome ones and then painting the handles after sanding them down. Same with the mirrors unless I upgrade to signal mirrors.

I've found every single color of handles already painted for a crew cab online except silver metallic. And I'm loving this color!!!! Coming from a black on black car and being a detailer for as long as I was to low maintenance silver is awesome. The thing is dirty as fuck but it still looks clean.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Perfect example of the stance that I want and what I meant by the chrome handles getting lost in the silver.....you can barely tell they're chrome.

zy2ajymu.jpg

Oh and I covered up the stupid gold bow tie with some left over carbon fiber vinyl I had laying around. Cool thing is you can't tell its CF until you get close and it's most likely temporary until I come up with a color scheme.

uzyrepym.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Perfect example of the stance that I want and what I meant by the chrome handles getting lost in the silver.....you can barely tell they're chrome.

zy2ajymu.jpg

Oh and I covered up the stupid gold bow tie with some left over carbon fiber vinyl I had laying around. Cool thing is you can't tell its CF until you get close and it's most likely temporary until I come up with a color scheme.

uzyrepym.jpg

I think those handles are on eBay.

Ps lower it. It's awesome

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
you don't have to, but isnt the point of a 4wd vehicle ground clearance ?

not really imo

the point of a 4wd vehicle to me is to be able to mow down snow/bad traction situations imo

its insane on the gm fullsize forums how many people lower their shit... 4x4 stuff at that. people with z71's asking how to lower and shit :rofl:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Why lift a truck 4X4 or not when the most offroading it will see will be a gravel parking lot or a campground? Why put even more stress on suspension and drive-line components than needed and get even worse MPG's with big heavy tires? Plus the fact that my work truck is 12' 3" and I have to take 3 big steps just to get into the thing. I'm tired of climbing into a tall truck and I don't want to do it in my personal car. Plus this will eventually be a baby hauler and lower will be easier for me and the wife to be to put things in it. I'm not slamming the truck nor am I going to bag or notch the frame, just a mild lowering kit that's done right with quality parts and correct suspension and drive-line geometry .

I got 4wd because it
A. Helps in the winter (same reason I got an AWD TBSS)
B. It's not easy (see impossible) to find a 2wd truck around here optioned the way I wanted.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
No flipping, they get completely removed. ZERO drilling into the bed itself for now until I decide if I want to hinge it and put struts on for access to the back but that would negate being able to take both off for full access to the bed. They weigh about 15lbs per but if need be I can get them off and put them in the cab in a few minutes. And yes I'm gonna keep them shiny, once they get beaten and abused or start to look like crap I'll polish them or give them a brushed look.

Not bad for roughly $350 worth of materials and a lot cheaper than the $700+ Bakflip that I was looking at and I just did a decent road test and they hold up to highway speeds pretty well. A bit of noise from the panels hitting the brackets going over slow speed bumps but that'll be fixed when I put double sided tape down between the diamond plate and the angle iron I used. I still have to take them apart and paint the angle iron I used instead of aluminum (using aluminum would've cost over $300 just for the framing), double side tape the space between the diamond plate and frame and weatherstrip between the frame and the bed. I couldn't roll the rear section by the tailgate so until I get some door edge molding it's ready to chop off a finger or send me to the ER for head trauma if I catch my head on it. For right now it's good tho and I'll give it a weeks worth of driving to work and checking for rubbing spots until I trim more off and adjust things.

Thread Info