Bought a PC Gaming Laptop...

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
So I decided that I wanted another PC for gaming, but I did not want to build another system. I wanted something I could game on at the kitchen table, or at work on my lunch break.

So I set a budget around $1500 or so, and went looking. Once again Microcenter for the win.

I found this little gem on a big sale. Retail it was $1999, but they had it on special for $1499. Its a 17", and ironically its little brother the 15" was only on sale for $1699.

Acer Predator 17 G9-793-78CM 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black NH.Q17AA.001 - Micro Center

So saturday afternoon I pulled the trigger. It was $1610 or so otd. Comes with a 15 day return policy if I dont like it.

Here are the specs.

Acer Predator 17 G9-793-78CM 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black; Intel Core i7-6700HQ Processor 2.6GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready; 16GB RAM; 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD RAID 0.

It has a full desktop grade GTX1070 that boosts up to over 1800mhz all on its own. Its supposed to run a little slower than the desktop card, but it doesnt. It has a 17" IPS 1080p Gsync display. And this thing can easily keep 75fps for everything I have at 1080p ultra settings.

Its HUGE though. 9.5lbs. Its laughable to be called a laptop. Maybe a desktop replacement would be better.

Its nice to be able to game in other places than at my desk in our bedroom. And it has HDMI and DP, so I can hook it up to my 4k TV or our 42" LED tv in the bedroom if I want.

This thing is badass. Heres a quick pic.

IMG_1855_zpsn1cvzhbw.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
i always heard acer was crap and asus was the way to go?

Acer predator is their highend gaming series of products. I'd never buy a acer normal laptop.

I actually went there intending to buy the asus ROG strix gaming laptop, but the build quality was crap. The lid wiggled all over the place and the keyboard felt like a cheap after thought. The kb on this one is like a mechanical keyboard with the cool clicks and great feel. Both has the same specs too, and this 17" was only $99 more. The asus was a 15". Looked good in pics, but in person it was a huge let-down.

As for the size. Yeah its old school massive. But its packed with tech and high end hardware. There would be no way to get the cooling, plus all the drives and GPU into a small package.

I have a backpack I will carry it in, so I should be able to carry it to work and back easily. And so far I have 19 games installed on it. Gotta love the 1tb data drive.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Eventually I'll be going the same route. Laptops are getting to be nearly as powerful as desktops ( at least for what I do) and I want to get rid of the huge desktop tower down the line.

I'll probably wait until the next Nvidia GPU line until I make my full switch over to mobile. Maybe next year or 2.

Only downside is upgradability.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info