pad/rotor replacment

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Just an opinion about those Hawk HPS pads.

I have them and don't really like them. They have a weak initial bite, require more pedal force to stop the car and they create black dust on the wheels.

The STOCK pads were much better, IMO.

If it's not too late, you might want to exchange them for OEM pads.

99svtdvr

open for business
Apr 27, 2005
nytebyte said:

I have them and don't really like them. They have a weak initial bite, require more pedal force to stop the car and they create black dust on the wheels.

I agree! Hawk pads suck ass IMO. Squeel, dust, and weak. Only reason why they are still on my car is that I am to poor to change them right now.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
99svtdvr said:
I agree! Hawk pads suck ass IMO. Squeel, dust, and weak. Only reason why they are still on my car is that I am to poor to change them right now.

I have my stock pads with about 2,000 miles on em if you want them they yours :biggthump Imo, my used OE pads are better then those Hawks, new or used anyday. If your rotors are good and smooth these pads will work great and limited dust and they wont squeel like a stuck pig :lmao:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I like the Hawk pads. They don't fade as fast as the stock pads if you make repeated hard stops. If you want more stopping power, you will have to go with better calipers. Pads only grab as hard as the calipers let them. More piston calipers and stainless steel lines will make the car stop much better but cost you some $$$.

Make sure you use the anti-squeal goop on the back of the pads. You can get it at one of the larger auto parts stores. It helps keep the squealing down to a minimum.

As John said, do NOT remove the bolt holding the springs in place. I did on the first rear brake and it was a huge pain to get it back in. On the other side of the car, I discovered that you can stick a screwdriver in and pry the spring closed enough to slip off the cable. MUCH easier.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
nytebyte said:

Ditto... had em on my GS. I replaced them w/ceramics from AZ and was much happier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info