Help with my DD, 97 Jeep GC I6, steering probs, truck pulling to side

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Ive had my 97 JGC I6 for almost 2 years and havent had to fix anything except replace the battery. She has been good to me, but I have a problem. Today, driving to work I merged on the HWY and got up to 70 or 75 MPH. The Jeep began to make a groaning-deep humming noise(vrrrmmmmm) for 1-2 seconds and then stop for a few seconds and then the noise would repeat, wait a few seconds, repeat.........while the jeep made this deep vrrrrmmmmm noise, the jeep would pull to the right. I believe it was actually bogging the engine down slightly while doing this too. But there was definitely a pattern to the noise and was not random at all. It does not do it at lower speeds below 70, or at least not enough for me to notice.

It also only makes the noise when the car is up to full temp, because on the way home, I got on the HWY right away and was only on there for like 5 minutes and it did not make the humming noise or pull to the right

I am a mustang owner and this leads me to the power steering pump, lines, etc, but I know the steering system is a bit more complex on my Jeep. I am going to check for leaks, etc. What should I check or what could this be??

I suppose a wheel could have lost a weight and that would explain the enoise, but it doesnt do it unless the Jeep is up to temp, I believe. And also, I could feel it bogging the engine down a bit like the power steering pump was starting to go out or lock up and causing drag on the belt.

My jeep is @ stock height and mostly stock to my knowledge

I thought maybe a rotor or brake pad was grabbing but, wouldnt it make a noise and pull very quickly, almost like its pulsing? This sound lasts for a full second to 1.5 seconds and then a few seconds go by, and the noise occurs again. The pattern is exactly the same. I have ridden in cars with warped rotors and know that feeling, and I dont think that is whats going on here.

well I checked it out, plenty of PS fluid, level was right where it should be. The fluid was a light brownish color (I am kind of color blind) and still quite clean and clear, not real dirty IMO.

I forgot to ad that I have been running a 16" spare "snowflake" wheel with a tire that is quite a bit taller than my other 3. The spare is the drivers side front wheel and has been like this all winter. This is my winter vehicle and I havent replaced it yet. I guess this tall tire on the front left side may explain why it pulls to the right, but doesnt explain the "bog" or "load" that is definitley there

I crawled under and took some pics of some suspension components and tie rod ends, not sure on the jeep terminology yet sorry....

This first pic is the "tie rod" on the DS, it is connected to some type of stabilizer bar, but the boot is definitely done here, and there is grease everywhere.

The next pic is my hand on the "stabilizer bar". When grabbed it, it would twist in my hand maybe .25" - .5", but was stable from side to side. Is that normal???

This last one is the "tie rod" on the PS front, boot is leaky here too

Could having that taller tire on the front DS wheel messed something up?

Thanks in advance for any help

Jason

rlbforum

Apr 8, 2006
I had a 96 Jeep GC Limited v8. I remember my dealer said that they had to make sure I had a new spare to match the other 3 tires in size. Something about the Quadratrac sensors being trown off. I have no idea if he was full of it, but they gave me a new full size spare for no charge, so I didn't care.

Just a thought?

fireball168

Regular
Sep 17, 2005
firstsvt said:
I forgot to ad that I have been running a 16" spare "snowflake" wheel with a tire that is quite a bit taller than my other 3. The spare is the drivers side front wheel and has been like this all winter. This is my winter vehicle and I havent replaced it yet. I guess this tall tire on the front left side may explain why it pulls to the right, but doesnt explain the "bog" or "load" that is definitley there
Jason

Unsure of how long you've driven the vehicle this way....but think about what has been going on inside your differential because of this.

Those side gears have been working "tirelessly" since the moment you installed different size tires on opposite ends of the axle. You've got one side gear that has been turning at a different(but continuous) rate than the other, under all conditions(not just when turning which is what they are for), since you installed this spare.

My bet is your side gear(s) is beginning to weld itself to the differential case....more pronounced at high speed after driving for awhile.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
fireball168 said:
Unsure of how long you've driven the vehicle this way....but think about what has been going on inside your differential because of this.

Those side gears have been working "tirelessly" since the moment you installed different size tires on opposite ends of the axle. You've got one side gear that has been turning at a different(but continuous) rate than the other, under all conditions(not just when turning which is what they are for), since you installed this spare.

My bet is your side gear(s) is beginning to weld itself to the differential case....more pronounced at high speed after driving for awhile.

That would be my guess also. Definitely sounds like a diff problem to me. Running different sized tires side to side is a :nono:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info