So I just picked up a new DD.....Advice if you're famailir....

SWORN

Addict
Apr 20, 2012
Chicago
I just picked up a new DD.....Please give me some advice if you're familiar.

2007 Ford Escape AWD 84K. Seems to run very well. Two previous owners, no accidents. I'm aware that the transmission may have issues. When I purchased it, checked the trans fluid. Overall fairly clean, no burnt smell. Just did an oil change and trans service. Been driving it around quite a bit. Very pleased so far with how it runs. Thought's? Thanks! :)

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
My mom has one, V6 AWD, that’s a bit older than yours but I believe the same generation. She’s had the ignition coils go out, the front subframe rotted out and had to be replaced, a few ABS issues and living in Chicago the Escape is an easy target for catylitic converter theft as hers was stolen and I’ve heard of other Escapes being hit.

They’re practical and great in winter with the AWD. I’ve used it to tow my tool box a couple times as well.

SWORN

Addict
Apr 20, 2012
Chicago
My mom has one, V6 AWD, that’s a bit older than yours but I believe the same generation. She’s had the ignition coils go out, the front subframe rotted out and had to be replaced, a few ABS issues and living in Chicago the Escape is an easy target for catylitic converter theft as hers was stolen and I’ve heard of other Escapes being hit.

They’re practical and great in winter with the AWD. I’ve used it to tow my tool box a couple times as well.

Replacing the front Subframe sounds like a real PITA! They definitely sit high enough that the catalytic converter could easily be removed. Thieving bastards!

I'm slowly going through the Escape. Just had the oil and trans fluid changed. Also had the exhaust flex pipe fixed. Will need to have an axle seal replaced in the future too.....

Watch for rust in the back of the rocker panels and in the rear wheel arches, as well as the rear inner wheel area. I've seen a number of them have the shock tower mounts completely rusted away.
Today 08:45 AM

All good there, doesn't seem to be any major rust in the back rockers....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Replacing the front Subframe sounds like a real PITA! They definitely sit high enough that the catalytic converter could easily be removed. Thieving bastards!

I'm slowly going through the Escape. Just had the oil and trans fluid changed. Also had the exhaust flex pipe fixed. Will need to have an axle seal replaced in the future too.....

All good there, doesn't seem to be any major rust in the back rockers....

Rockers aren’t the issue, it’s up top where the shocks mount to the Unibody.

The rockers could be rust free, but the Unibody can still rot away under the sheet metal.

Not to be a Debbie downer, they are great little trucks, especially at their price point used.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I had an 02 Mazda Tribute awd. Same body style just dated, had 230k when I sold it IIRC and I really liked it. Ran damn good and drove great despite the mileage.
My ex's parents had a good one. I should have bought it. The Escape/Tribute is what made me look and I settled on the CRV because of the fuel economy.

SWORN

Addict
Apr 20, 2012
Chicago
Rockers aren’t the issue, it’s up top where the shocks mount to the Unibody.

The rockers could be rust free, but the Unibody can still rot away under the sheet metal.

Not to be a Debbie downer, they are great little trucks, especially at their price point used.

No worries. :)

A buddy of mine had a 2002 Escape AWD for sale.....This thing had a lot of rust. I could totally see it disintegrating! LOL! My 07 seems to be fairly solid, just hope for the best I guess.

I had an 02 Mazda Tribute awd. Same body style just dated, had 230k when I sold it IIRC and I really liked it. Ran damn good and drove great despite the mileage.

Wow, that's a lot of miles!

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Had a 2001, went through 2 trans's but I also blame my wife's driving on that.

I helped a buddy with a 2006 last year fixing the rust by his shock mount. He was getting lots of road noise, I had to make a 6" by 6" patch where the driver rear inner fenderwell met the shock tower.

Aside from those 2 issues I haven't heard or seen anything first hand. Good little suv's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info