• SRT Jeep

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
Living where we are.....

If you had to purchase one? Both can be had used with around 5,000ish miles for the mid to high 50's.

I've done the winter tire setup before on a RWD car in the area, it is doable, but with over 600 to the wheels it is not "awesome." The powerband is kept below 3000rpms from December to late March. I know what to expect from a hellcat power wise, but I've never driven a newer SRT Jeep.

I currently have a Jeep (non-srt hemi). It is nice, fantastic in winter, but with the wood interior and outdated tech, it is boring overall for my style.

Jeep Pros:
475HP, nicer interior with suede headliner, better sound system, more cargo room, no "need" for a dedicated winter tire setup.

Cons: Not a Hellcat, not going to give the same open road "feels" of a roots blower sedan from April to November.

Hellcat Charger Pros:
The obvious power, "nice" interior. Good overall modern style. The seats and U-connect system are virtually identical to the SRT Jeep.

Cons: Will need a $1500-2000 Blizzak and rim setup. To be honest its a top dollar powertrain put in a $20,000 car. There is a lot of cheap plastic on the inside everywhere and there are rumors that the upgraded speakers rattle the deck lid like a beater.

Opinions from anyone who has been around or knows anyone who owns?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I had a 14 Jeep Srt, and have driven a Charger Hellcat. You will need a dedicated winter tire on the Jeep. Your pros and cons are pretty much spot on. One thing to consider with the Jeep, if you want to tune it for minimal gains expect to spend about $1200. The 475hp is a little misleading imo. Stock vs stock my 08 Jeep Srt 425hp felt faster and had better numbers at the track. Don't get me wrong it's quick but doesn't feel 475hp quick. I loved my 14 Srt, but would buy the Charger.

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
I had a 14 Jeep Srt, and have driven a Charger Hellcat. You will need a dedicated winter tire on the Jeep. Your pros and cons are pretty much spot on. One thing to consider with the Jeep, if you want to tune it for minimal gains expect to spend about $1200. The 475hp is a little misleading imo. Stock vs stock my 08 Jeep Srt 425hp felt faster and had better numbers at the track. Don't get me wrong it's quick but doesn't feel 475hp quick. I loved my 14 Srt, but would buy the Charger.

I've done plenty of forum reading how the newer ones feel "slow" compared to the older 2010's. I'm big into modding cars, but will be more reserved this time around. I'm not sure if there is anything available for 2015-17 Jeeps yet as far as HP tuners goes. From what I researched guys were having to buy a whole new PCM and swap it in. I'm not one to ever trust an e-mail style tune.

If I went the Jeep route, I would never do anything other than a CAI, catback, lowering springs, and tints. I've read that a good tune can wake the car up a lot, but in reality its a 5000lb SUV.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Oh and the deal I guess with these new mopars and tuning is Diablosport actually sends you a new PCM out and you have to send them yours. They have to do some sort of hardware hack on the board to allow tunes to be loaded. Then they come preloaded with a canned tune. But at this point, you can head to a diablosport dealer and have the car custom tuned with a trinity tuner on the dyno. Big but at the moment is that the trans cannot be tuned still. Cant adjust shift firmness and shift points if I remember correctly.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Oh and the deal I guess with these new mopars and tuning is Diablosport actually sends you a new PCM out and you have to send them yours. They have to do some sort of hardware hack on the board to allow tunes to be loaded. Then they come preloaded with a canned tune. But at this point, you can head to a diablosport dealer and have the car custom tuned with a trinity tuner on the dyno. Big but at the moment is that the trans cannot be tuned still. Cant adjust shift firmness and shift points if I remember correctly.

Unless something has changed recently, you keep your original PCM. You need to swap the PCM back to original unhacked PCM anytime you go in for service/warranty work. Email tune is perfectly fine for the minor mods the OP mentioned he might do. You would be surprised how well these tuners can dial these cars/trucks in via email and a few data logs. Rumor has it HP Tuners has the trans tuning issue solved.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I've done plenty of forum reading how the newer ones feel "slow" compared to the older 2010's. I'm big into modding cars, but will be more reserved this time around. I'm not sure if there is anything available for 2015-17 Jeeps yet as far as HP tuners goes. From what I researched guys were having to buy a whole new PCM and swap it in. I'm not one to ever trust an e-mail style tune.

If I went the Jeep route, I would never do anything other than a CAI, catback, lowering springs, and tints. I've read that a good tune can wake the car up a lot, but in reality its a 5000lb SUV.
That is the exact mods I did to mine, only difference was I went with a 22x10.5 rim all the way around.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
its sounding lately that mopar is flagging vins and warrantys for any non mopar mods on the cars.

I have seen multiple videos and people talking about their hellcat getting the vin and warranty flagged because of a non mopar cold air installed on the car and loosing all of their warranty.

Flagged for cold air ? That's crazy

Jdiding

I has the dumb
Dec 5, 2016
sheridan ill
I fully agree, the specific car with the cold air I am referring to was flagged after a visual inspection on a hellcat that was there for a blower bearing noise ( witch seems common on first run hellcats before the bearings were updated) the service writer went out to take a look and verify the complaint, seen the cold air closed the hood and denied the customers claim and then proceded to flag his vin in the system,
while it seems far fetched I looked deeper into this and the guy wasn't joking he had printouts from mopar showing his vin flagged for a non mopar cold air intake on his car
really sucks that the manufacturers have to be so strict on warranty stuff anymore
here is a link about the issue there are many more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9pKiV7flQ

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
All those problems were solved. Sounded like the dealer had it out for the guy in the first place.

I do have a kid. Probably one more in the future. It sounds like the overall space of the Charger isn't an issue, but the Jeep offers a little more convenience.

Most of the power from these cars is not usable around here anyways. I don't drag race anymore, I don't do any road courses, I just enjoy the grin from stop light to stop light.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah this was a dealer issue. SRT would never let a hellcat pull bad press over a warranty concern. There have been others that had catastrophic failures, and SRT stepped in to cover repairs or replacement engines.

Plus I know a guy who contacted one of the SRT bosses to complain about this hellcats paint defects among other things. And they arranged a buyback and ordered him a replacement hellcat challenger one year newer. Just did a collateral swap for the loan. Im talking giving him a year newer car for what he paid for his car.

SRT has great pride in their hellcats.

Thread Info