Short throw shifter install

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I have had my MGW shifter for several months now but i am torn between installing it myself or paying the dealership to do it for warranty purposes. I talked to my service manager at the dealership and he said that they will not void future trans warranty if they install it there. Essentially he said if the trans ends up havig issues down the road and they dont install the shifter then my trans warranty will be questioned.

Should i stop being a pussy and just install it today or should i be cautious and pay the dealership to do it?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
+1. It's an easy install. You will love the shifting with the MGW compared to stock.

The dealer just wants your bucks. The service manager is full of you know what. Take your time, be careful and you will be fine.

Here's a vid to give you a general idea what's involved. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIVNih5gcx0

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the input gents! Decided to stop being a pussy about my "new" car and did some work. The install really wasnt bad at all. Ended up taking me 3 hours, but what made it so hard was my tiny garage with no creeper and had to use a smaller jack so space was aweful and i couldn't get both arms up there at times. This really should not take nearly that long though. knucks are hurting from the shifter boot part.

The feel of this thing is bonerific. Really firm and precise, which is what I wanted. The stock shifter is wayyyy too spongy. There is a slight increase in NVH, but you can only tell with the windows up and no radio on. I used dynomat on all of the exposed metal in the cab around the shifter. Also used a stiff rubber gasket that they included, as a option, in their newer models that goes between the rear shifter bracket and the body of the car. The shifter does make a clunk type noise when shifting, but IMO it helps assure you that you are in gear and doesn't sound that bad compared to the odd noises my stock one made.

Rowing through gears is no longer a chore. I feel it is easier to shift quicker. There is a lot less restriction on the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts which is nice. 1-2 is much improved over stock. Overall this shifter has a bit more noise, but functions a lot better.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Of the 5 local guys who installed the MGW in a 2011+ only one still runs it. Carter. They all got tired of the vibration noises and clunking sound when getting into another gear. Two of them called MGW and were asked to uninstalled it and re-installed it. Even went as far as to wrap the whole shifter in dynamat and used teflon tape on the threads before they installed the aluminum shifter balls. Probably less important to do that on the plastic shifter knobs.

Just how that shifter is. You either end up dealing with it or changing it out.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Wow, that's a switch from the 03-04 T56 shifter from MGW.
I had a Steeda originally in mine, but got tired of the noise and went to an MGW. At the time, MGW shifters were the quietest ones around.

I guess that's not the case anymore.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I honestly have no qualms about the shifter noise. I think people just need to stop being whiny babies about this kind of shit. You bought a performance shifter. Of course there's going to trade offs. You like a quiet shifter? Enjoy the sponginess of the stocker. You want something you know is in gear and doesn't move around but has some added vibration? Enjoy the MGW.

And I'm actually sure I could quiet my MGW down even further because I didn't put any DynoMat between the bracket and the tunnel or the assembly itself. I only put it around the boot and beneath the weather pad.

I've put 20600 miles on the car since I bought it last November. Daily driven, gets dirty as fuck sometimes. The noise from the shifter doesn't bother me. The gear whine from my factory 3.73s on the other hand...

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I do have to say that the feel of this shifter when banging through the gears going WOT is worth the noise. I would tolerate even more noise for the function of the shifter. The rubber gasket that was optional between the rear shifter bracket and the body of the car was a nice addition, but i am considering removing it to make the shifter a bit more firm/stiff. I am a pretty big guy so when i shift i want some firmness so i dont have to pussy shift.

Again, the noise isnt that bad and it is better then what the stock shifter was makin at odd ass times. I am pretty damn pleased with the product due to its quality ..and it is made in the ol US of A. MGW was left with a tough challenge though...they were trying to make chicken sallad out of a chicken shit trans.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
I installed it at work, took about three hours as my aftermarket one piece DS and 3" exhaust didn't help with clearances.. Had my 1st REAL drive this morning on the way home. I swear to god I wish I bought this years ago!

The shifts are so crisp, I feel like I'm opening and closing the bolt of a high end rifle with each throw not mushing a bowl of spaghetti ... I really can't say enough about this relatively cheap/ easy to install upgrade! I'm blown away, I can see this actually helping ET's that's how good it is. Ok I'll stop gushing now.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am not sure on what guys use for the 08's but GT5.0FACE suggested amsoil mtg for the mt-82 trans in the new coyote platform and that has done me right. Only down side is driving in colder weather. The trans fluid likes warmer temps to work the best. I usually just let my car warm up a bit longer is all and it is good to go. My stock trans fluid was still pretty new and it came out black as wesley snipes. Definitely a worthwhile fluid change. I am one of "those dudes" that swears by amsoil, but i hear redline also produces a killer ass trans fluid.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
I am not sure on what guys use for the 08's but GT5.0FACE suggested amsoil mtg for the mt-82 trans in the new coyote platform and that has done me right. Only down side is driving in colder weather. The trans fluid likes warmer temps to work the best. I usually just let my car warm up a bit longer is all and it is good to go. My stock trans fluid was still pretty new and it came out black as wesley snipes. Definitely a worthwhile fluid change. I am one of "those dudes" that swears by amsoil, but i hear redline also produces a killer ass trans fluid.

I'll have to do this.. I noticed while under the car the tail shaft seal is weeping a little bit....... Which is understandable since the car has a whooping 16,xxx miles and never sees rain or cold.

So I figure while I change that ( OR pay someone cuz I'm a cake boy) I'll have the fluid swapped .
Thanks for the info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info